Allen Screw Removal

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Allen Screw Removal

Post by greener » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:41 pm

The rear sight retaining screw on my M&P is frozen. Extra effort, after penetrating oil, resulted in rounding out the 1/16th screw head. I haven't been able to find a screw remover the correct size. If I had this problem anywhere other than the rear sight, I'd drill it out and retap the opening. Is there a better way to do this?

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Re: Allen Screw Removal

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:45 pm

greener wrote:The rear sight retaining screw on my M&P is frozen. Extra effort, after penetrating oil, resulted in rounding out the 1/16th screw head. I haven't been able to find a screw remover the correct size. If I had this problem anywhere other than the rear sight, I'd drill it out and retap the opening. Is there a better way to do this?
Go to a real hardware, the smallest EZ out should be about right tap it with a hammer to help break it loose and have at it but be careful as they are hard and can shatter.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:19 pm

You are a wise man. I went to Richmond's real hardware store and found the right guy. Not only did he have the right size, he removed the screw. I bought his best set. I'd spent some time looking, but hadn't gone to Pleasants. The smallest I could find before was too big to remove a slightly larger set screw in one of my honey-do jobs.

Pleasants did fail me. They didn't have a scew with the right pitch to replace it.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:40 pm

greener wrote:You are a wise man. I went to Richmond's real hardware store and found the right guy. Not only did he have the right size, he removed the screw. I bought his best set. I'd spent some time looking, but hadn't gone to Pleasants. The smallest I could find before was too big to remove a slightly larger set screw in one of my honey-do jobs.

Pleasants did fail me. They didn't have a scew with the right pitch to replace it.
Rob, when I was working at the Yamaha and lawn and garden dealer for many years,it was and still is an Ace hardware, a real hardware store with people that know the business. You will not find a screw other than maybe a #6-40 at a hardware, most gun screws are one step finer than a National Fine thread, just an old gun tradition to keep the business to themselves, I guess.
Just might buy me a Savage MarkIIGL tomorrow, did your son's MarkIIG come drilled and tapped and with Weaver bases beside the rimfire grooved receiver.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:28 am

What is the size and pitch of your M&P's sight screw? I'll check the bins and see if I have one set aside somewhere.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:15 am

Thanks for the offer. Managed to get through to S&W and one is, supposedly, on the way. Took several calls before the queue was short enough that they would put me on hold.