Spinner target stands

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Spinner target stands

Post by ruger22 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:46 pm

I have a couple of spinner type targets. One is an orange rubber prairie dog, the other has three metal spinners. The Forest Service range where I go has really hard ground, so I had a brainstorm to use these targets better.

I had some old riding mower tires. The steel spinner target has four legs, and a rear mower tire, with four properly located holes drilled in one side, works good as a stand.

The prairie dog only has two legs, so that was a little more complicated. A smaller front tire worked for the right size, but just drilled holes wouldn't work to keep it vertical. I made two holes completely through the tire, to push through two plastic sink supply lines from the hardware. These are cut off a little less than the thickness of the tire. Then a flat washer over the end, and a cotter pin (drill a little hole) closes the bottom end and keeps each water line in the tire.

The prairie dog stand set me back three bucks for the water lines, washers and cotter pins. I made both stands in about an hour.

I'm only using .22s, and they stay put okay at 25 yards. Heavier calibers, you might want to set a rock, brick, etc. inside the tire for more weight.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:47 pm

Would like to see a photo of engineering.

Sounds interesting....
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

arizona-hermit
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Nice

Post by arizona-hermit » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:56 am

Now THAT sounds like a full day of fun in the sun ;-)
But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain. [1 COR 15:10a - NASB]