Ransom rest questions.

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Ransom rest questions.

Post by Georgezilla » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:06 am

I was given a Ransom pistol rest as a Christmas present (yipee!), unfortunately it seems to be somewhat defective.

The side of the vice that slides over the bolts is not flat on the inside of the assembly (where it contacts the grip-inserts). Below is a picture, inside the circled area there is a fairly large bump, you should be able to make it out in the picture.

Is this bump something I should notify Ransom about? Will it effect the performance of my rest?

Thanks!

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:00 pm

how high is the bump? If it's putting pressure on a portion of the pistol that shouldn't have pressure. you will have issues.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:48 pm

That left side Randsom vice half should be flat. This could be a sign of a bad casting or internal corrosion. I'd contact them for a replacement part.

R,
Bullseye

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:35 pm

Stork, it was the top portion of the plate, right behind the B.
Ransom said the same thing as you, Bullseye. They dropped a new plate in the mail. So far, I have received very good customer service from Ransom :)

Could anyone offer any advice on mounting the rest on a platform (or perhaps some pictures)?

The manual recommends mounting it on 1" plywood, 14" wide and long enough to extend across the shooting bench. On the bottom of the platform, they recommend nailing and gluing two 2" x 1/2" x 14" wood strips on the ends. Is this really a good method, is plywood a good wood for mounting, and with what wood would you recommend making the bottom strips out of (manual doesn't mention what kind of wood to use on this portion)?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:37 pm

There's a pretty good review on the Ransom Rest at Gunblast.com, not that anyone needs encouragement to get a RR. http://www.gunblast.com/Ransom-Rest.htm Quinn used a regular 1" board to clamp onto a shooting table. A 1" thick piece of plywood is more than strong enough for this application. The width of 14" is just to give it a good wide base for mounting and clamping. The wood strips out on the edges would give the mount a little flex, to act like a shock absorber, so the whole set-up doesn't vibrate out of position like it might if the base was hard mounted directly to the table top. It really doesn't matter what type of wood the edge strips are made of because they're just stand-offs. I would use a medium to hard wood like popular for these and you can by a piece like this in a home supply store for a buck or two.

I knew that Ransom would take care of you they stand firmly behind all their products.

R,
Bullseye

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

wood

Post by stork » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:43 am

I concur with Bullseye. The wood type isn't critical. I've got 2 bases for mine. Nothing wrong with the first, I started using a different cement bench to c-clamp it onto and it was a bit deeper. Yes, make sure it's 1" thick. This base must be solid and not bounce any more than is absolutely necessary.

Several things you may already know, but they're worth repeating.
1. The Ransom Rest (RR)will NOT show you the best your pistol will shoot. It will show you the average to poorer than average group size. I can shoot one or two tighter groups off the bags with my pistols, I just can't shoot two or three dozen. Therein lies the advantage of the RR. It never gets eye strain, or tired, or stabs the trigger etc, etc, etc. Just remember to compare RR groups to RR groups, not RR groups to hand held groups. I do the final testing of a promising load with a hand hold.

2. Don't make the mistake of inserting the pistol, tightening everything up and then test groups. It may take 10-50 rds to seat the pistol into the grip adapters. Take along 20-50 rds of sacrificial ammo.

3. The bench you mount the RR to must be solid as a rock. If you lean against the bench while testing or shift your weight in the middle of a string, your results will be skewed.

4. Keep your grip adapters in air tight zip lock bags. It seems to keep them in better shape.

5. Never touch the pistol when moving it back to battery, if you do you may have just shifted the pistol in the grip adapters. Use the wing on the base.

6. Bury the first round out of the magazine into the berm. I don't know for sure but my thought is that the first round chambered by hand seats differently and hits to a different point of impact.

7. I normally shoot 10 shot groups. Don't shoot 5 and 5. I shoot 4-drop the magazine while the pistol is back in the recoiled position and insert the fresh magazine-then move the pistol back into battery. I then shoot 5-fill the magazine with the next load to be tested-put the pistol back into battery-shoot the 10th round-then readjust the zeroing for my next load test. I continue this until I'm done testing that pistol.

8. I'm sure your instructions say the same thing mine did 20+ years ago, but never oil or lubricate the friction plates. A friend of mine did that with his 2 years ago and immediately his groups went wild. He had to get new friction plates. Oil never goes near it now.

9. Don't yank on the trigger bar. Do it the same as a disciplined shot. Move the lever slowly and steadily to the rear.

10. Don't overtighten the plates to the pistol. My testing has consisted of 1911's, High Standards, Ruger MKII's (no 22/45 polymer frames), and S&W K frames. In the case of 1911's, High Standards, and Rugers you can tighten the pistol tight enough to bind the movement of things that should be moving in the firing sequence.

11. In the case of 1911's. Test your best loads with a different # spring, both heavier and lighter. You may be pleasantly surprised.

More to follow as I remember them.

FWIW
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:04 pm

Thanks, Stork! That is a great idea about changing the recoil spring on 1911's, makes a lot of sense too.

Has anyone here ever had their semi-auto double tap while recoiling in the rest? Right now that's a concern I have. After the Ransom's trigger bar breaks the pistol's trigger, there is nothing that holds the rest's trigger bar in place. Wouldn't it be possible for the rest's trigger bar to move forward during recoil (after the bar breaks the first shot), resetting the pistols disconnector and possibly causing the pistol to fire again while recoiling?

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

trigger lever

Post by stork » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:43 pm

I've shot thousands of rounds through the RR. I've never had one double on me...YET. never say never...

FWIW, the trigger bar has the pressure on it towards the rear. When the shot breaks, your pressure is toward the same direction the pistol is recoiling and follows it along back. You then take the pressure off the lever and reset the RR to battery then re-engage the trigger lever. Make sure the tension on the friction plates is sufficient that the pistol doesn't go all the way back, 90% is about right.

So far so good.

FWIW

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:25 pm

If your 1911's disconnector is doing its job properly then you shouldn't have any doubles on the Ransom Rest just like when you shoot it from your own hands.

R,
Bullseye

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:23 pm

OK, thank you both.

HisSoldier

Post by HisSoldier » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:25 pm

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, I stumbled on it using Google. I ordered a set of 1911 inserts but they are backlogged. You guys talk about changing mags, is there a hole in the insert to allow access to the magcatch? I bought two insert sets from a widow on ebay, one PPK/S and the other Ruger .22 auto, my Ruger MkIII has the magcatch button where God intended, not at the bottom, but the inserts have no hole, anyone here drill such a hole? The PPK/S insert also has no hole. How are you all changing mags? Thanks,

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:34 pm

The 1911 RR inserts do not cover the magazine release button, and the left side adapter panel is relieved with a recess to allow the magzine catch to move fully. You can see an example of the Randsom rest and the grip panels on a 1911 here: http://www.ransomrest.com/images/combo.png

R,
Bullseye

HisSoldier

Post by HisSoldier » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:54 pm

Thank you sir! I'll relieve the inserts for the PPK/S and the Ruger I suppose.