My 2010 project-Ruger Mark III pistol

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

perazzi

My 2010 project-Ruger Mark III pistol

Post by perazzi » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:32 pm

Herrett Left hand Nationals arrived today... :D

Everything fit easily. A slight adjustment when installing the right grip panel to allow the magazine to drop out was required. I'll play with them awhile, but, I'm inclined to relieve the bolt release area a little bit..

The factory trigger pull right now is 60 oz..

Now I'm waiting for that sear, and the TL 2000 rear sight.... :twitchy:

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:17 am

Those Herrett grips look nice. I can see where working the controls on a Mark III can be difficult for a lefty. The mag release isn't so bad but the thumb safety and the bolt release has got to be tough at times.

My old shooting partner was left-handed and it was interesting to watch him working the mag release and slide release on a 1911. Not to mention a little disturbing at times as we were facing each other, eye to eye, on the competitive shooting line. He had a huge sense of humor and often liked to make people laugh out on the line. I liked it, but some of the other competitors could get a little rattled. It did not help that he'd often stage himself across from folks he knew he could unnerve and then tweak them with comments as they were experiencing performance issues. One guy got so rattled that he slammed his 45 down on the bench on the heel of the pistol. When the rapid fire string started a few minutes later, the bottom of his magazine broke, came off and the spring and bullets went flying all over the place. That was a hoot! We still chuckle about that one whenever we get together.

R,
Bullseye

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:53 am

I like the grips even if they are lefty....nice lookin' wood, how do the feel?

And Bullseye that is a funny story....I know some folks with tempers like that and no sense of humor..

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:38 am

Sure wish you had that on ann instant replay video, would really like to have seen that.
Bullseye wrote:Those Herrett grips look nice. I can see where working the controls on a Mark III can be difficult for a lefty. The mag release isn't so bad but the thumb safety and the bolt release has got to be tough at times.

My old shooting partner was left-handed and it was interesting to watch him working the mag release and slide release on a 1911. Not to mention a little disturbing at times as we were facing each other, eye to eye, on the competitive shooting line. He had a huge sense of humor and often liked to make people laugh out on the line. I liked it, but some of the other competitors could get a little rattled. It did not help that he'd often stage himself across from folks he knew he could unnerve and then tweak them with comments as they were experiencing performance issues. One guy got so rattled that he slammed his 45 down on the bench on the heel of the pistol. When the rapid fire string started a few minutes later, the bottom of his magazine broke, came off and the spring and bullets went flying all over the place. That was a hoot! We still chuckle about that one whenever we get together.

R,
Bullseye
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:12 am

Oh, thanks REAL much! :lol: Them's some PURDY grips!

I'm a lefty, I have a tweaked MK-II, and I just checked Herrett's site. As soon as this new job kicks in, I see some new stocks in my future...
An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:54 am

If you ever played with one of those peanut cans that has the spring worms in it when you were a kid then you have an idea what the scene looked like. The bottom plate of that magazine broke off the mag and the spring shot out like one of those surprise worms. The magazine spring is considerably longer than one might think, especially when it comes launching out of the bottom of a pistol in one's hand. Then out come the remaining bullets and bounce all over the bench. Everybody who saw it laughed. However the gent who had it happen did not seem amused for some reason. Of course he was permitted an alibi but instead he decided to pack up his gear and left the line. Since he was already having performance issues that spring event was just too much. It also didn't help that he had one of those 1911 magazines that were tack welded in four spots instead of all around the floor plate.

R,
Bullseye

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:44 am

wouldn't bullets hitting the bench be a blatant miss?

He launched them, they didn't hit the target ... how is that a reason to gat another chance shooting?

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:16 am

That's a good story, would have loved to see a video of that. I had been is some table tennis matches against some characters over the years. One was a shrink and he would go out of his way on every point or game to get you to break concentration. It's didn't work on me but I have seen many break a paddle playing him. But if I recall he broke his most of the time...

Nice grips...

btw, I used to play table tennis competively. At one time I had a national ranking that put me in the top 10% of the us players. Sadly I can no longer pay, due to my back.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:14 pm

bigfatdave wrote:wouldn't bullets hitting the bench be a blatant miss?

He launched them, they didn't hit the target ... how is that a reason to got another chance shooting?
The bullets were still in their casings and therefore not fired. One could make a weak argument that they were saved rounds, since they weren't fired, but the reason they were not fired was due to an equipment malfunction. Even though that malfunction was due to the operator slamming his firearm down on the firing line bench.

R,
Bullseye

perazzi

Post by perazzi » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:02 pm

parts, parts, parts... I LOVE parts...and tools, too..

Image :)

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:40 pm

You'll like that TL2000 sight and the target sear.

R,
Bullseye

perazzi

Post by perazzi » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:24 pm

Well, we're ready to go dancin...

here are the sears, mine left, VQ right.

ImageImage

With the VQ sear in, I got 2# pull. But, it was a bit gritty and not quite as smooth as I'd like. Looking at the sears, I suspect My gun, bought used, might have had some work done already, so, I put my sear back in with the VQ sear spring. The addition of Bullseye's to print magsafeless bushing,

and I've got a comfortable 3# 4 oz trigger. I'll work on the 2 #'r another time..

The TL 2000 went right in... looks great!!...

I've made a grip adapter for my old Lee pistol rest. (remember those??) and I'll be checking out the .22 ammo scene..

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:53 am

Looking good!

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:20 am

I thought VQ was polishing their sears..... :?
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

perazzi

Post by perazzi » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:37 am

This one certainly isn't. Other opinions on them? :?

Looked at their sear description on their site. I think I best give them a call. :cry: