Ruger Rimfire Bolt Polishing

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Tony S45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Ruger Rimfire Bolt Polishing

Post by Tony S45 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:26 pm

I continue to read about polishing the bolts of Ruger 10/22s but not any info as to the bolts of Ruger 22/45 & MK handguns.

The question is this: does the polishing of the 10/22 bolt and/or the handgun bolt truly help in the cycling of the guns to ensure reliability, or is it just one of the last things to do when we have done everything else and run out of projects during these long winter nights?

If it's a true help, what is the best way to accomplish bolt polishing for those of us who are amateurs

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:42 am

Ruger 22 Auto bolt polishing is more of a cosmetic issue. I have polished a few bolts with rough surface contours to smooth up the operation. I've also polished a few inner receiver tubes for the same reason. Those were extreme cases and not the norm for Ruger 22 Auto pistols.

R,
Bullseye

Tony S45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tony S45 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:57 am

Roger! Thanks Bullseye.

I'm into function before beauty. However, I do notice a slower cycling as the temperature drops toward 40f and below especially using bulk Remmington. I shoot CCI Mini-Mags exclusively in colder weather during our local competitions to ensure ignition & cycling.

After cleaning each Ruger (10/22 and 22/45 & MKII) my usual practice is to merely wipe the bolts with a patch with minimum lub reguardless of the temperature. Was curious if there were any other "tricks" that I could try such as polishing the bolt.

Ruger blowback guns require minimum lub. Hopefully you agree!

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:58 am

Absolutely! The less the better. That below 40°f operation is a normal event. Using less lube on rimfire firearms is essential for smooth operation. Otherwise the excess lube, plus the extra residue it attracts, will drastically impact the operation of the firearm.

R,
Bullseye