Improving on a 2009 Colt Gold Cup...

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

perazzi

Improving on a 2009 Colt Gold Cup...

Post by perazzi » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:40 pm

Received my new Colt GC back from Colt this week.

They replaced the slide and it now shoots right to center of target :D

Looking it over carefully, I see some area's where there's room for improvement.
  1. Loose bushing, re-fitting with a new Kart bushing (thanks Bullseye for the suggestion.)
  2. Slide/frame could be tightened. about .004 vertical play and about .004 horizontal play. It rocks.....
  3. Barrel hood was impacting ejector side of slide when closing. *Dimensionally, looks like hood was cut off center a bit right. The barrels "rolls" to the left when engaging the breechface. but is tight when in battery. good tight upper and lower lug engagement.
  4. Slide lock pin on the low side of tolerance. (.196)
But, first things first, We're going outside to sandbag to get a baseline group. Who knows, it might shoot 1" groups as is....

Can't be any harder to fix than a Ruger Mk III, right? :lol: :)

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:13 pm

I hope it shoots well. I would have milled a low mounted BoMmar dovetail and installed a Champion (BoMar style) rear sight. That would have saved a lot of fitting time.

R,
Bullseye

perazzi

Post by perazzi » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:41 pm

Bullseye wrote:I hope it shoots well. I would have milled a low mounted BoMmar dovetail and installed a Champion (BoMar style) rear sight. That would have saved a lot of fitting time.

R,
Bullseye
A little bit sleepy??? lol

It's a Gold Cup....... comes with it already installed. .... :D

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:03 pm

Not really, Gold Cup's come with Elliason style adjustable target sights. These are longitudinally mounted in the slot on top of the slide (no dovetail).

The BoMar style adjustable sight is mounted in a transverse dovetail slot cut across the top of the slide like this:

image source: www.blindhogg.com

This particular cut is a low-mount. Without it your front sight would look like a shark fin because it would have to be so tall.

R,
Bullseye

perazzi

Post by perazzi » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:59 pm

Ahhhhh, I misunderstood your meaning...But, it was Colt's dollar. New gun should be right, right?

I think that's just a weee bit more than I want to tackle immediately..

I'll stick with the generally simpler stuff first....trying to improve the stock GC first.... lol

I'm not sure I could ordain enough mill time for that. That stuff I'll leave to you old hands.

:wink:

Kind of reminds me of the days we'd buy new cars and immediately rip out the engines, suspensions, interior, exhaust and tires and wheels, just to build them up.. lol

Tried to load test today, but, being a controlled feed, My old Lee pistol rest wouldn't cooperate. :cry: I'll have to figure something out. They don't like to be laid on sandbags either....

I did manage to squeeze out a .739 center to center 5 shot group that was exciting at 25 yards on a dismal day. But, in all honesty, I was getting generally 2 1/2 " groups with whatever load I tried with irons. Might throw a grip mount scope base on and try that.....

perazzi

Post by perazzi » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:11 pm

Well, first real try at indoor slow fire with the .45 after the Kart bushing tightened things up a bit.

scores out as 86-3x using a SF template, yes, 3 x's in darn near the same hole!!! AND a sight correction after the first 5!!! :lol:

I'm thinking I'm going to like this .45 !!!

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:01 am

I'd say it's coming together for you. That pistol should give you many years of enjoyment.

R,
Bullseye