Brass punches and durability

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Brass punches and durability

Post by Georgezilla » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:56 pm

I have been needing a set of brass punches for awhile. I decided to pickup the Wheeler Engineering set from midway. They were on sale, and I have been very happy with my wheeler screwdriver set.

I noticed that one of the reviews on the wheeler set noted that the smaller caliber punches were easily bent. I checked out the reviews on other brands, and they all had similar comments.

Is this lack of durability due to user error, or are the smaller brass punches just easily bent? Lastly, is there a brand that is more durable than the rest?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:23 am

Brass is a soft metal and that's why the smaller punches bend. They all tend to mushroom over time so you have to keep filing down the tips to keep them concentric and flat, depending on the amount of use. Wheeler's just as good as any for brass punches they're all pretty much the same. I use a combination of steel and brass punches. On the more difficult pins I break out the steel ones. I just have to be careful not to let them slip.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:17 am

Like bullseye. I use steel puches for most of the heave work and rarely use a brass puch. Over 40 years as a service tech and machinist teaches you hoow to use a hammer properly on a punch. To kepp soft brass puches looking pristine just don.t hit them.
Yolu hit a steel puch and you tap a brass one.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:59 am

Brass bends because it is brass … luckily brass punches aren't too expensive.

Shorter ones bend less because you can't torque them as much, don't worry about losing material when you re-shape a borked punch.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:38 pm

Like everyone says brass is a soft metal and bends easily. They are soft so they will not mark what your working on. I have a Wheeler set from Midway and very pleased with them. I have a steel set too. Now there is a difference when it comes to steel punches, you do not want a soft metal steel punch.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:55 pm

Cheapest brass I've seen (and bought) I got a 8 punch set at a place called Harbor Freight Tools for all of six dollars. I think it covers 1/16 to 3/8. They're short, about four inches with the round part about 1 1/2, but okay for drifting most pins.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:30 am

Thanks for the insight, guys.

We have Harbor Freight Tools here as well, but I didn't think to look for brass punches there. I just checked the regular big-box stores which did not have them. But I wanted a couple other things from midway anyway.