Sprang for a MKII hammer spring!

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Tony S45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Sprang for a MKII hammer spring!

Post by Tony S45 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:28 pm

I have detailed in other posts about my MKII Slabside giving me "light strikes" for the past couple of years. The gun has only 5K+ rounds and is eight years old.

Meantime I have learned a bucketfull of info about this gun and my 22/45s while reading stickies and doing the mods and clean-up work to enhance the guns' reliability. Each project I completed made the gun a bit better.

Alas, the light-strikes continued with the MKII and the one thing left was the hammer spring. Ruger hammer springs are inexpensive but they are pressed into the hammer spring assmbly by machine; therefore, I bought a complete assembly from Ruger and WOW what a difference a spring makes. Even after slipping it into the gun and dry firing it, the firm smack of the hammer onto the firing pin & bolt was a joy to hear. Today at the range hundreds of Federal bulks went bang. Goodby light strikes!

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:59 pm

Glad to hear you finally got that pistol problem solved. Replacing the whole mainspring housing is far easier than just replacing the mainspring without a jig.

R,
Bullseye

Tony S45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tony S45 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:35 am

Roger that, Bullseye!

The jig's cost is more than a new hammer spring assembly. Read this Forum's posts concerning the jig, etc. and decided to just buy assemblies as needed.

Many thanks to you again & again for this Forum! You are doing a great service to the shooting community.