Smoothing Mark pistol bolt ears

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Smoothing Mark pistol bolt ears

Post by ruger22 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:10 pm

I learned one thing putting in my recent VQ kit. I did a lot of dry fires while adjusting the trigger, and definitely chewed up some finger and thumb. I never really realized how sharp the bolt ear serrations were.

I've smoothed them out now. I just knocked the edge off of each ridge and all the corners. A flat needle file used a couple of minutes on each ear, then smoothed that with a piece of emery paper. No refinish with stainless, thank goodness.

I don't think you could totally round the edges and get a good grip. The little filing I did feels a lot better, though.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:01 pm

But ... ... WHY?

Those ears were designed for minimal operation, not every trigger pull operation. And if you NEED to operate in a hurry a little finger abrasion is a trade-off for reliable yanking.

Why not just put electric tape on the ears for extended dryfire?

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:26 pm

Ruger22, I am sure you just smoothed them so you wont have any problems pulling the bolt back. However, in general I'd agree with BFD, I like to have a nice hold on the components that need manipulation.

Think of being a firearm enthusiast like being a guitar enthusiast, you will develop calluses where you need them, in this case on your thumb and forefinger, problem solved. This is my philosophy anyway (does not apply to hearing and eye protection though :P).

Tony S45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tony S45 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:44 pm

I am coming to the defence of a fellow Virginian.

If Ruger22 wants to smooth out a sharp piece I say he should do it! My favorite pistols are S&W 9mms but their slide release(s) are generally quite sharp. Therefore, out came a small file and emery board to merely knock down the rough edges. Now whenever going to slide lock I slap in another mag and release the slide without loosing a little skin.

It's called zen! Being in tune with what you're doing. Can't reach zen if the thing is biting you!

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:55 am

I think all he was doing is de-horning it.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:31 pm

blue68f100 wrote:I think all he was doing is de-horning it.
Exactly, only not that much. Just a few thousandths off any sharp edges and corners. I actually did the entire rear of the bolt and receiver, too. The four corners of the receiver by the ears were sharp enough to draw blood. The ridges on the bolt ears looked almost purposely sharpened.

You can't see any difference unless you look close. Ruger machines all these shapes, maybe a quick pass on a buffer, and that's it. You want less sharp, it's DIY.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols