Para thumb safety mod.

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

copter_dad

Para thumb safety mod.

Post by copter_dad » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:08 am

I would like to remove the extension on my Para Carry 9 thumb safety.To remove the safety from the frame, can I chase it with the correct size punch, leave the punch in the frame, and not disturb any of the innards while working on the safety? Chase the punch out with the modified safety, and be back in business.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:12 am

You can use the punch to keep the grip safety in place. Keep in mind that the 1911 safety needs to be "rocked" in order to remove it from the frame. What are you going to do to remove your extension? If you choose to replace the safety, instead of modifying it, you are most likely going to need fitting the new one.

R,
Bullseye

copter_dad

Post by copter_dad » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:36 pm

I plan on bobbing the extension with a Dremel, file, grinder, whatever. I am not interested in aesthetics. I will carry the gun, and it looks like a hook waiting to snag objects. I think I could use it as a carry hook on my belt. Just to be clear, I can chase the safety without messing with innards? By rocking do you mean like on and off safe?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:43 pm

Yes, you can use your punch to keep the grip safety in place (won't mess with the innards). Rocking is back and forth between safe and fire, it actually won't be all the way for the settings to remove the thumb safety.

R,
Bullseye

copter_dad

Post by copter_dad » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:46 pm

Bullseye, thanks a bunch!!

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:52 pm

Bullseye wrote: If you choose to replace the safety, instead of modifying it, you are most likely going to need fitting the new one.

R,
Bullseye
Does that only apply to Paras because they are not mil-spec, or would most any safety change on a 1911 (mil-spec or not) require fitting?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:47 am

Anytime you change a safety it requires careful checking and fitting, para's with the LDA camming action on the hammer are even more likely to need fitting with a new safety installed. Fortunately the original poster is just modifying the external portion of the gun's factory safety which won't require fitting upon reinsallation.

R,
Bullseye