Aftermarket Ruger MK barrel

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Aftermarket Ruger MK barrel

Post by piasashooter » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:39 am

I have wondered for a while about the difference in performance with say, a Clark or Volquartsen barrel, compared to the factory Ruger barrel. I haven't ever found any side by side comparisons, and just wondered if anyone here has any first hand experience or knowledge with an aftermarket barrel. I know rimfire's can be very picky with ammo, and that can be a big factor with accuracy, so taking that into consideration, assuming the best ammo for a particular barrel is being used, should one expect the aftermarket to shoot more accurately?

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:30 pm

Piasa,
Would I expect them to shoot better, YES.
Would I shoot them better, NO. For a time I played with the idea of getting a Volquartsen tensioned barrel assembly, until I ransomed my original.

Every MKII target I have ever Ransom tested shot around 1 1/2" at 50 yards, with good ammo (including all of mine and several belonging to friends). Hypothetically, one would shoot 100-10x on every target. However (you knew it was coming, right) in my case when I have to score 7's, 8's and 9's, I know it's not because of the barrel not holding a tight enough group. It's that darn loose nut on the trigger.

That being said, if you like it-try it. There's nothing like a little variety.

FWIW
Merry Christmas to all of you at GTOL.
Allen (Stork) Schirado
Last edited by stork on Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:08 pm

I have no experience with the aftermarket barrels, but I agree with Stork. Ruger 22s will generally print groups like Stork stated. I've never messed with one, but I imagine the Clark and VQ barrels would shave off a little from the spread, but once ones equipment is grouping 1.5" at 50 yards, it's going to be tough for most marksman to out shoot that.

As far as Bullseye competition goes, the real pitfall for the Ruger .22s was never their out of box accuracy (which has generally been more than acceptable), it's their triggers.

Having said all that, the mental factor in ones equipment is huge. A marksman who upgrades to a Clark or VQ barrel might shrink their groups by many inches at 50 yards just due to increased confidence in the pistol even though the barrel might only actually print 0.25" smaller groups.

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:15 pm

Thanks guys, I haven't ever ransom rested my Ruger, but if it shot 1.5 inches at 50 yards, I would leave it stock. I didn't know that that type of accuracy was common with a stock Ruger. I agree that if a gun can shoot 1.5 inch groups, you need to be pretty darn good to ever notice a barrel that theoretically shoots better.

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:58 pm

You should ask someone at your club who has a Ransom rest if they would be willing to help you test your Ruger with it, I am sure they would gladly help you out.

I know that you are putting up some nice scores these days, I bet if you were able to see your pistols potential it'd unlock some more confidence and your scores would climb even higher.

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:22 am

Yea, you might be right. I know there is a least a couple guys who have a rest, and would probably be glad to help me out. Even though I know it wouldn't bother them, I always feel a little uncomfortable asking people for things like that.

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:52 am

Piasa,
I can give you a brief list of stuff that shoots 1 1/2" or less at 50 yards with every target pistol I own (5 Rugers, 4 Hi Standard Citations, Browning Buckmark, and a Marvel Conversion).

CCI Standard Velocity (blue box)
Eley Tenex and Brown Box
PMC Scoremaster
Aquila SE
Lapua Midas M
Federal 711B

There are a few others that also will shoot that or better.
Certain lots of CCI Blazer are very good, other lots...not so much. When I find a good lot I usually buy several cases and use it for practice in my Rugers. It's high velocity so I don't shoot them in the Hi Standards or Marvel.

I have a couple cartons of OLD Remington target ammo that will hold 3/4" to 7/8" at 50 yards in one of my Rugers. That stuff I only use for slow fire at 50 yards for important matches. It still has the lousy priming that Remington is famous for so it's not for timed or rapid fire due to high % of duds.

Winchester Dynapoints were my main ammo when I first started 12 years ago. I could pick it up for $8.88 a carton on sale and it always held 1 1/2" with maybe 2 or 3 duds out of a carton. Then Winchester moved their 22 ammo mfg and it was in very short supply for a time. When it started being available again the price was up where I could pick up CCI blue box for about the same price with 0 duds so I started using CCI for everything.

Then I ran across Aquila SE. When I started using that I could get it for $99 a case with none or 1 dud per carton. Very soft recoil for rapid fire but it was touchy cycling with one of my Hi Standards that had a stiffer recoil spring. Unfortunately those prices are also past history and it now runs $230/case.

One thing to keep in mind, I have long been an advocate of not cleaning the bore on a 22. Until last winter. I posted my results in October. I no longer let my bores go over 1000 rounds without cleaning. Never too old to learn I guess.

http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/vie ... php?t=3211

Too much rambling, time to get to work.

At this time, if you settle on CCI sv for matches and serious practice, you'll be in good shape. While not always the most accurate in everything I own, it averages far better than my area of hold and so far I have yet to experience a dud with it after shooting cases of it. When, not if, I shank a 6 it wasn't the ammo to blame.

If you have your heart set on Ransom testing your gun, do it. I never mind helping someone test their stuff on my Ransom rest so don't feel shy about bringing the subject up. But unless you just want to test every new lot of ammo it's over rated. The time spent practicing is far more productive than the time spent testing at my skill level as long as I'm already shooting a known ammo. That is very hard to accept for anal types (like myself) who like to reinvent the wheel, but the sooner you accept it the sooner you start shooting better scores.

FWIW
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington