MKIII 22/45 Grips

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

sosoonold

MKIII 22/45 Grips

Post by sosoonold » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:21 pm

OK, I'm new here, but here goes . . . :idea:
I would like to add grips to my new (ain't even got to fire it yet) 22/45, but don't want to mill or drill. I saw one posting where grips were hand made and the inside relieved to clear the stock grip. Has anyone tried to modify 1911 wood grips and attach with adhesive as he did . . . maybe epoxy to hold the screws and add to the illusion? Would the SR1911's Eaglewings completely cover the stock grip? Your input is appreciated. :)

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:55 pm

Welcome to GunTalk-Online!

We did have some members a long time back hollow out some 1911 grips and use RTV sealant to attach them to the frame. As I recall that worked for them but later they went ahead and modified the ruger frame to attach the grip panels via 1911 style bushings.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:05 pm

sosoonold, Welcome to GTO

Did you get the 22/45 RP Model? These are suppose to have replaceable grips, thinking the 1911 grips will fit..
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

sosoonold

Post by sosoonold » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:41 pm

Thanks for the quick response.
Are the archives for those old postings still available? Wondering what the problems were. In my case, I don't want to void the warranty before I get to shoot it :cry:
I bought the entry level . . . non-RP, but I'm sure It'll get the job done, just needs some tinkering. I've already done the sear, bushing, LCI and slingshot thanks to all your great info. Trigger may follow after I've run some lead through it.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:08 pm

I went back and searched a bunch of the old threads and I haven't found the specific post, even though I found several references to the modification. It may have actually been a post in another forum, or our older version of this forum where it actually started. The gent used Hogue rubberized panels that he hollowed out, because they have plastic inserts, and then attached them with RTV sealant to his 22/45 (Mark II version) pistol. Later he commented that the sealant did no permanent damage to his frame and just some rubbing with a finger was all that was needed to remove the sealant residue from the frame. Sorry but that's the best I can do at this time. If I find more about it I'll post it here for you.

R,
Bullseye

sosoonold

Post by sosoonold » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:28 am

Thanks for the effort . . . I'll post when I solve it.

Tony S45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tony S45 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:43 pm

Can't help with the question of hollowed out 1911 grips; however, an inexpensive alternative are grips made by Dominic Notaro

www/tech-custom.com/

He sells grips for MKIII and original 22/45s which can be glued onto the frame or installed using screws. I bought a set for my original 22/45, screwed them onto my gun, and found them to be a big improvement over the stock Ruger grip. The improvement on the MKIII is more pronounced because Ruger redesigned the 22/45 grip and made it quite a bit slimmer than my original 22/45s.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:48 pm

I thought about those too but the original poster said he didn't want to drill or mill his frame. Notaro grips require the frame must be drilled for the attaching screws. They do fit well but the frame is permanently altered with the holes.

R,
Bullseye

Tony S45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tony S45 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:52 am

A couple of members of another forum had good results using some sort of RTV sealant to stick Notaro grips to MKIIIs for the very purpose of avoiding drilling the frame.

Using the screws is the best way, however.

The MKIII 22/45 frames are way to small for my hands without extra grips.

cousin jack
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by cousin jack » Wed May 28, 2014 9:08 am

Notaro grips .... with screws.... one of the best mods going for the MKIII 22/45......

"Speed is fine, but accuracy is everything." Wyatt Earp

greener

Post by greener » Sat May 31, 2014 7:33 pm

Notaro's MKIII grips really do make the pistol much better for me. I'm not sure that they do well for the MKII.