22/45 and Hunter?

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

montanashooter

22/45 and Hunter?

Post by montanashooter » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:05 pm

Will these steps also apply to the Hunter as well????

Bud33
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Bud33 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:17 pm

What steps would you be referring to???
Bud

Beware the man who only has one gun.
HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:38 am

If you're referring to the field stripping procedures, then the version that applies correlates to the type of grip frame your Hunter has installed on it. If you have one with the 22/45 style plastic frame, then the 22/45 instructions apply. The metal framed Hunter would use the regular Mark III instructions.

Welcome to the forum!

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

montanashooter

Post by montanashooter » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:07 am

Sorry about that.....I'm referring to both the field and detail stripping....I have the plastic style frame...Do all 22/45s have the plastic frames??

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:13 am

montanashooter wrote:Sorry about that.....I'm referring to both the field and detail stripping....I have the plastic style frame...Do all 22/45s have the plastic frames??
Yes the 22/45's are polymer framed pistols, and always have been.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

montanashooter

Post by montanashooter » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:05 pm

O.K. let see if I got this right.....A hunter is a 22/45 with the longer barrel and sights, eerything else as far as frame and internal parts are the same??? Thanks for tolerating my stupidy on this, but I have this need to understand the differences between the two pistols....
Thanks again.....

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:32 pm

montanashooter wrote:O.K. let see if I got this right.....A hunter is a 22/45 with the longer barrel and sights, eerything else as far as frame and internal parts are the same?
that doesn't sound exactly correct..

1. the original "Ruger .22 Pistol" was mfg in about 1949...
it had the "Luger-Like" pistol-grip angle.
2. about 1980, the various-barrel-designs of 30 years became
known collectively as "Mark-I" pistols (I'm being VERY loose
with my history)
3. the "Mark-II" pistols were made with, among others, a
"Bolt Hold Open" feature lacking in the prior design.
some minor Magazine changes... etc.
4. in the early 90s, in response to the market for a .22LR
Practice-Pistol for 1911(ie. Colt .45) practice... the
MarkII-22/45 grip provided the Button-Mag-Release and
Grip-angle to resemble the .45-pistol...
These 22/45 pistols were made with a "Polymer" and still are.
5. NOTE: Mark-x barrel length, taper/bull, SS/blue changes a lot,
but the "innerds" are pretty much the same, if not exactly the
same parts...
6. in Late 2005(?) Ruger released their New/Improved "Mark-III"
to move the Mag-Release to a button on all models...
provide a Mag-Safety (must have a Mag to fire, avoid having one
in the chamber to fire), a Loaded-Chamber-Indicator... and a few
other "features" that had no affect on the "ballistics/shooting"...

I welcome corrections to my off-the-cuff-history...
I did it all from memory, and did not consult my books.
http://www.Gun-Guides.com/ has a good (Pre-Mark-III) manual/book
for the Ruger Pistols... with good (dis)assembly and History.
uh, well.. uhmmm, I mean NOTHING can beat the clarity and
price of BullsEye's OnLine help pages... :oops:

as you obtain your next Ruger-Pistols, you will get aquainted with
the various styles and features... just practice Field-Stripping and
inspect what is going on ... it'll become 2nd nature very soon.

What ammo are you using? How's it "grouping" for you?
good luck. post again, originally by RedGreen.com
"we're all in this together... and we're pullin' for ya'... "

Eddie A

Post by Eddie A » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:49 pm

montanashooter wrote:O.K. let see if I got this right.....A hunter is a 22/45 with the longer barrel and sights, eerything else as far as frame and internal parts are the same??? Thanks for tolerating my stupidy on this, but I have this need to understand the differences between the two pistols....
Thanks again.....
Just to be sure we're answering your question correctly:

1. You can get the "Hunter" in ether 22/45 or the Standard Ruger frame
2. If you are asking is the 22/45 Hunter the same vs the non-Hunter model as far as assembly / dis-assembly goes, then the answer is yes.
3. Assembly / dis-assembly between the 22/45 (any model) and the Standard (any model) is a bit different.

Bullseye, if I've got this wrong, please jump in!

Cheers!
Eddie

montanashooter

Post by montanashooter » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:55 pm

O.K. I think I've got it now....I want to thank everyone for their help with this.....

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:56 pm

The answer is yes. Here is a set of pictures of the Hunter pistol models. As you can see they come in both styles of frames: 22/45 and Mark III (regular metal).

This is a quote from the Ruger website, "All Ruger 22/45's (including Hunter) have the same grip shape, feel, and familiarity of the famous 1911 .45 caliber pistol."

The frame internal components are identical with their Mark III counterpart pistol. The field stripping and reassembly procedures are identical to the frame model of their twin Mark III pistol.

Montanashooter: You're questions are all solid ones - there's no such thing as a dumb question in the quest for deeper knowledge. This is the place to ask those basic kinds of questions.

R,
Bullseye

montanashooter

Post by montanashooter » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:38 am

Again thanks to everyone...There is a wealth of information among this group and they have no problem in sharing with everyone...Hope some day I also will be able to assist as you all have helped me....

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jaeger45 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:31 am

Bullseye wrote:The answer is yes. Here is a set of pictures of the Hunter pistol models. As you can see they come in both styles of frames: 22/45 and Mark III (regular metal).

(Snip... Snip...)

This is a quote from the Ruger website, "All Ruger 22/45's (including Hunter) have the same grip shape, feel, and familiarity of the famous 1911 .45 caliber pistol."[/i]

The frame internal components are identical with their Mark III counterpart pistol. The field stripping and reassembly procedures are identical to the frame model of their twin Mark III pistol.

Montanashooter: You're questions are all solid ones - there's no such thing as a dumb question in the quest for deeper knowledge. This is the place to ask those basic kinds of questions.

R,
Bullseye

I just want to contest- and how!!! - that statement fm the Ruger website that "All Ruger 22/45's (including Hunter) have the same grip shape, feel, and familiarity of the famous 1911 .45 caliber pistol."[/i].

That is BS!!! I'm referring in particular to its grip.

Don't get me wrong: I have a Ruger 22/45 slabside with a 6-7/8" bbl (you remember THAT one, don't you, Bullseye? :D ). And let me say I love it- so do my wife, my sis and her daughter! It shoots great with that trigger that you fixed!!!

My beef: Its grip which is part of the polymer frame. It's just so darn slim even for my average-sized hands that with its long barrel which tends to make it kinda nose-heavy, it twirls around in my grip. Even the Hogue rubber grip sooner or later works itself around the grip, so that I just discarded the thang. Now? I put a band of sticky-sided emery tape and works great. BUT- you guessed it. Comes deep-cleaning time and I have to disassemble that puppy, off it goes so I can remove the latch at the back of the grip, hehehe ...(Wry grin) :twisted:

BTW, my Kimber is still shooting great with the original bbl after 25,000 rds of .45 SWCs. Light loads, of course.
A bad shot is often caused by a loose nut behind the buttplate

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:36 am

I agree - the main problem with the 22/45 (both MkII and MkIII) grip style is the thinness of the polymer grips. Many folks have made permanent alterations to their pistols by adding 1911 grip panels to the frame thus giving the pistol a more 1911ish feel to it. Here's a link to a pretty good example of the modification. http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=347 Probably the only thing I'd suggest is drilling the grip panels with access holes for sear pin removal. By doing so, one wouldn't have to take the 1911 panels off of the frame to remove the internal parts for modification or deep cleaning.

R,
Bullseye

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jaeger45 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:14 pm

Bullseye wrote:I agree - the main problem with the 22/45 (both MkII and MkIII) grip style is the thinness of the polymer grips. Many folks have made permanent alterations to their pistols by adding 1911 grip panels to the frame thus giving the pistol a more 1911ish feel to it. Here's a link to a pretty good example of the modification. http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=347 Probably the only thing I'd suggest is drilling the grip panels with access holes for sear pin removal. By doing so, one wouldn't have to take the 1911 panels off of the frame to remove the internal parts for modification or deep cleaning.

R,
Bullseye
Thanks for the link!

The 22/45's pictured there all have screw-on grips with screw holes on the frame already! Guess I'd been away fm the store too long. Actually, no real reason to since I'm pretty well stocked up with components for reloading and factory loads/milsurp when I was still at the Bay Area, thank you. Maybe it's time for me to start looking around again? But the li'l lady is here already, and you know what that means. Maybe I shud send her back where she came from, hm-mm? :lol: :lol:

I'll see how it goes with the grip panels.
A bad shot is often caused by a loose nut behind the buttplate