Bobcat mods disappointing on second range trip

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Bobcat mods disappointing on second range trip

Post by ruger22 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:49 pm

I posted on shortening mainsprings and a minor mag mod doing so well on the first range trip. Maybe I had especially good ammo lots, because the second range visit yesterday cut my improvement to maybe half what I thought I had, with Federal bulk and CCI Mini-Mags. Velocitor still did well, like it always has.

I still got zero jams with a fresh cartridge pointing at the sky, so the mag mod did good. But I got enough more fails to eject, and stovepipes to matter. Still a few fresh cartridges stripping off and jamming below the feed ramp, even loading the mag one short.

The mainspring cuts made an improvement, but still unsatisfactory, so I think I'll re-install the original mainsprings.

I've resigned myself to living with CCI Velocitors like before, and the Bobcats getting zero range time from now on. The Velocitors still work 98%, and that will have to do for conceal carry.

How have Bobcats stayed in production and on the market since 1984???? There was no hyper-velocity ammo then. I love the basic design, features, fit and finish; if they just worked like they should.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:45 pm

I have a Beretta Bobcat and I like it. I get failures every now and then, but basically, it runs right through Blazer bulk, CCI's, even Rem Goldens. I think it has gotten better with time, maybe the breech is smoothing out with use. I carry it when I go for walks in the neighborhood, just in case a pit bull comes after me. I feel confident in the bcat for this usage. I also have a lot of fun at the range with it, I can reel off 8 rds in less then 2 secs for sd practice. Sorry you're having trouble with yours, give it some time with many rds thru it could help.
Haka

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:13 am

I've had both Bobcats about 3 years, and each has 1000 or so rounds through it. They have always worked almost as well as my Mark III, if I use CCI Velocitors and load the magazine one short.

My disappointment is that they don't function reliably with HV ammo. The manual even says to use "standard" velocity, which would never work. The main person I've ever talked to at Beretta USA is Butch, who answers both parts and tech support phones, somehow. He says he uses Stingers in his personal Bobcat.

Using Velocitors or Stingers for carry is fine, but 15 cents a shot for a .22LR pistol at the range takes all the fun out of it.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols