cant find thread on rear sight blade

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Biggjimm
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

cant find thread on rear sight blade

Post by Biggjimm » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:04 pm

I ran across a thread detailing the fabrication of a rear sight blade for mark lll adjustable sight out of an old sawzall blade but can't find it anywhere. I'm in the process of doing this & would like to refer to that thread but I can't find it. If anyone knows of that threads whereabouts, please enlighten me. I'm clueless. Thank you. Biggjimm.
In youth we learn,
In age we understand.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:02 pm

I don't recall a detailed description of making a sight blade from a sawsall blade here at Guntalk. I recall a few fellows saying they made some from hacksaw blades but it was a while ago and may have been on the old MarkIII.org forum.

R,
Bullseye

Biggjimm
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Biggjimm » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:25 am

I think you're right Bullseye. I was thinking it was a thread like a sticky or something, but the more I think about it someone might have just mentioned the fact that you could do it. Like someone said in another post I was reading "My rememberer isn't so hot nowadays, but my forgettor is working better all the time" And wouldn't you know, I can't remember who said it. Anyways, I decided to just wing it on the sight blade just to see if I could do it. And it worked. I made one like the v-notch blade on the hunters. I've got one coming from ruger but wanted to see if I could make a workable one myself. It's for my 5.5" bull barrel target 22-45. It really tightened my group's up. I find that the big old square notch that comes on them gives me a lot of room for error but that v-notch with the single white stripe below it cuts most of that error from left to right out. I might get one of the hi-viz rear inserts to match the front site & give them a try. I like the fiber optic up front but I'm not sure the rear one will give me as tight of a sight picture as the v-notch one that I made does. I think if the front fiber optic rod was a smaller diameter I could shoot it just as good as my other marklll with the red dot on it. I think. Anyhow, if you take your time, you can make a pretty nice rear sight blade out of a sawzall blade.
In youth we learn,
In age we understand.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:05 am

That's good to know. It's one way to recycle old broken saw blades.

R,
Bullseye