Pillars in a CZ 452 American

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Blindpig

Pillars in a CZ 452 American

Post by Blindpig » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:29 pm

Just finished putting pillars in my CZ 452 American and I thought maybe y'all would like to see a picture of the final product. The pillars are 3/8" lamp sleeves and they thread right into the action screw holes. Note the flat spot on the front pillar. I had to file it down to clear the front part of the Automation Solutions sear I installed earlier. Haven't had a chance to get to the range to try it out since I put the pillars in but I'm hoping for an increase in accuracy.

FreeMe

Post by FreeMe » Mon May 07, 2007 6:44 pm

Interesting bit of improv' there, BP! How's it working out?

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Tue May 08, 2007 12:38 pm

FreeMe wrote:Interesting bit of improv' there, BP! How's it working out?
The jury's still out on that because, believe it or not, I haven't been out to the range since I installed the pillars. It's amazing how much making a living gets in the way of the things I really want to do! The rifle was already capable of .25 inch 5 shot groups at 50 yards from a sand bag rest but I'm always looking for the "one ragged hole". The main thing the pillars do is to allow you to seat the action consistently without having to worry so much about the amount of tourque on the action screws. Plus, I like to tinker with my guns; at least as much as I can without screwing something up! If I think I might screw up, I ask Bullseye and you guys how to do it first!

FreeMe

Post by FreeMe » Tue May 08, 2007 6:22 pm

Well, I'll be looking for your report when you get around to shooting it, BP. I just got my first CZ (452 Varmint) and am about to start improving things - I hope.

BTW - when it comes to "how to", I'm one of the askers, not one of the "you guys"! :) Bullseye's been a great help to me with my MKIII.

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Wed May 09, 2007 11:40 am

FreeMe wrote:Well, I'll be looking for your report when you get around to shooting it, BP. I just got my first CZ (452 Varmint) and am about to start improving things - I hope.

BTW - when it comes to "how to", I'm one of the askers, not one of the "you guys"! :) Bullseye's been a great help to me with my MKIII.
I'll post some results if I ever get back out to the range! I'ts been raining here in Tulsa pretty much every day and especially on those days I can get away from the office! :(
Congrats on the 452 Varmint; I predict you'll love it! The mod that I did that was the biggest improvement was an adjustable sear by Automation Solutions that I ordered from Brownell's. I got a matching trigger spring with it and man, is it sweet! I have the pull set right now to about 8 oz. and there is absolutely no creep. The sear and spring are a little pricey at about 70 bucks but well worth it in my opinion.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Thu May 10, 2007 8:11 am

[/quote]
I'll post some results if I ever get back out to the range! It's been raining here in Tulsa pretty much every day and especially on those days I can get away from the office! :(
[/quote]

Been raining her in Michigan also, but I have 2 real advantages, I am retired and do not have to worry about getting off from work, I also belong to a very stake of the art indoor range that is only 3 years old. It has never rained in there yet nor is it freezing, windy or excessively hot, and the lighting is always the same and the sun is never in your eyes to bother you. Had a great time there yesterday playing with several brands of ammo and my 10/11T. :D
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Thu May 10, 2007 10:45 am

Well, B&OM, I probably should be retired also but greed gets the best of me and I keep chasing that dollar! One of these days, though.......
The only indoor range we have here in Tulsa has a max 25 yard section and that's not far enough for me to get much enjoyment out of the CZ. It looks like it may stop raining here but then I'm going to have to harvest my hay (otherwise known as the Bermuda grass in my yard)!

FreeMe

Post by FreeMe » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:58 pm

Well, BP - I hope you get to do some shooting soon! I've had a few trips into the range and the field since I installed the Brooks kit in my 4542 Varmint, and it's really sweet. My barrel floats as it came from the factory and I'm getting consistently great groups, but I'm thinking pillar-bedding is still a good idea, eventually...

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:14 pm

FreeMe, I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't been to the range yet with the CZ since pillar-bedding it! I've been off on a kick of putting a free-float railed handguard and flip-down front sight on my S&W MP15A. As a matter of fact, the Brown Truck of Happiness is due at my house today with the parts.
Glad to hear you're enjoying your CZ. For the price, I don't think you can beat 'em.
The pillar bedding is just kind of icing on the cake and a fun project to do. Anyway, if you don't like them, you can always take them out if you haven't done a lot of epoxy work in the installation.

FreeMe

Post by FreeMe » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:51 pm

Hey, BP, I know how it is! I'm still into perfecting my MKIII Hunter. When I find an end to that, I'll direct to the pillar-bedding of the CZ. 8)

sniper

Re: Pillars in a CZ 452 American

Post by sniper » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:13 pm

Blindpig wrote:Just finished putting pillars in my CZ 452 American and I thought maybe y'all would like to see a picture of the final product. The pillars are 3/8" lamp sleeves and they thread right into the action screw holes.
Neat looking job! Did you do anything besides just screw the pillars in? Glue? Wizardry, etc ? Do the original stock screws still work? If that's all there is to it (famous last words!) I may give it a try on my 452, once I get my workshop/reloading area up and running again.

Blindpig

Re: Pillars in a CZ 452 American

Post by Blindpig » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:33 pm

sniper wrote:
Blindpig wrote:Just finished putting pillars in my CZ 452 American and I thought maybe y'all would like to see a picture of the final product. The pillars are 3/8" lamp sleeves and they thread right into the action screw holes.
Neat looking job! Did you do anything besides just screw the pillars in? Glue? Wizardry, etc ? Do the original stock screws still work? If that's all there is to it (famous last words!) I may give it a try on my 452, once I get my workshop/reloading area up and running again.
Nope, didn't have to do anything but just screw them in. You can still use the original stock screws if you want but I changed mine out for cap screws. The only thing that takes any time at all is getting the pillars the exact length. It's a fun project and best of all, you can't screw up your rifle! If you don't like 'em just take 'em out and it's back to the original set-up.