Instead of a beer can shim

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

mark II
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Instead of a beer can shim

Post by mark II » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:43 am

I thought of an idea that might work instead of the beer can shim to tighten up the fit between the barrel and receivers on Rugers.
What if you drilled and tapped the top of the lug on the receiver? You could then use a set screw to adjust the fit between the two parts. I think a larger set screw would be better because you have more surface mass.
What do you think?

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:14 pm

What Ruger firearm are you referring to? I f it is an auto loading pistol the barrel and receiver is thee top part, the bolt runs in the receiver. What
I believe you are referring to is the frame, would probably work all right as long as you do bot drill into the trigger area.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:37 pm

I believe this type of modification is possible but would be very difficult to adjust and maintain. The shim method is not very susceptible to recoil vibrations like a set screw would be, even with Locktite sealant applied. The barrel can generate enough heat, depending on use, to soften the hold of the thread locking sealant and work its way loose. The front lug is right underneath the chamber and would heat quite rapidly during firing.

R,
Bullseye

mark II
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by mark II » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:53 pm

Sorry I didn't make myself clear on the firearm. I was thinking for Ruger Mk..... I was thinking that with the beer can shim your lifting the barrel up off of the curved part where the two parts join. This way you pushing the two parts together into the curve.
I know the beer can shim works good and has been around for a long time. Just thinking outside of the box.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:26 pm

I always thought that was a weak part of the Mark pistol design, along with the riveted ejector. I've seen that Tactical Solutions has an ejector that installs with a screw replacing the rivet, and debated getting one. Ejector problems seem to be very rare, though.

My Mark III Target is at about 3k rounds over five years, and still snug at the barrel / receiver connection. I've had it apart at least 12-15 times, probably more, and still need a rubber hammer. I make a point of having a drop of oil on each contact surface before reassembly, but don't know if that has actually helped or not.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:38 pm

Loose ejectors used to be a bigger issue with the older models but Ruger has gotten better with how they rivet them now days.

R,
Bullseye

Tony S45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tony S45 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:55 am

mark II:

Your new idea is going to negate the need for me to continuous drain extra beer cans that I keep for emergency shims!!!!