Weather boredom project

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Weather boredom project

Post by ruger22 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:34 pm

Still can't match up a day off with nice weather. My area looking at forties with some light snow the next couple of days...... :(

I got to looking at the Hunter Versa-Fit holster I got for the Sentinel. K-frame Smith holsters are the only ready mades that work, and most somewhat swallow it. Close examination showed that the gun simply goes down in it too far.

I made a pattern of the stitching, and unstitched the holster. I moved the pattern 5/8 of an inch higher than the original stitches, and marked the line. Made the holes (1/16th drill works nice) and trimmed the excess leather. Restiched with white nylon, double stitching the end holes as before. Scraped the edges to even them better, and ta-da, a custom holster. Good fit, and the retention strap goes over the hammer properly now.

I had to trim a little off the front flap to reduce the height and access the trigger better. I really like the results, and it only took me about an hour and a half. I made quite a few holsters in years past, mostly because of guns nobody made one for, or wanting a design nobody offered. The experience helped this project go nicely.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:16 pm

Glad it worked for you.

I've modified a few over the years but mainly make new ones now.

Using a drill on thick leather is what I use to do till I bought my HD Industrial sewing machine, Adler 205. It's capable of going through 5/8" thick leather just keep your fingers away for it will not know any difference.

Weather has been up and down here with the rain passing us by. Our lakes are in pitiful shape. The one that our water supply comes from is reported as being only 48% full. Without any ran they will probably move to stage 4 water restriction. We are currently at stage 3 which limits outside watering to 1 day every 2 weeks. Stage 4 will do away with that. We need ran in a bad way.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:38 pm

Sounds like a great project....

but 40 deg being too cold??? thats almost summer weather! Blue we have plenty of water up here the rivers are starting to flood from the snow melt.... everything is either frozen or soggy.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:43 pm

I guess 40 is like summer to you poor folks living so far above the snow line....... :D

Throw in 20 mph wind gusting to forty, and a 70 mile round trip. I'm waiting for 60s and less windy, at least.

There used to be a Tandy Leather here. I could always find a $5 piece of leather in their scrap box that was perfect for a holster. I made a few knife sheaths and other stuff, too. The store closed in the late Eighties, and the nearest now is 50 miles away. Don't know if they have a scrap box, and I'd bet a good piece would be way over $5 now! Otherwise, it's buy a whole leather side online sight unseen. More than I'd ever use, anyway, and too much money.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols