Gun Cleaning Patches

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Gun Cleaning Patches

Post by charlesb » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:52 am

I use the "Bag of Rags" sometimes seen in the paint department in hardware stores. What you get is a plastic bag full of clean white T-shirt material rags. - This is very inexpensive compared to buying patches or cutting up T-shirts.

I use a office-style paper cutter, the kind with the curved blade with a handle to cut the rags into 1" or 2" strips.

Then I cut the strips with scissors while cleaning. Different lengths folded for different thicknesses, as required.

Cut a 2" piece off of a 2" strip, then quarter that and you have four .22 patches, etc. etc.

Inexpensive, versatile, easy to use.

I would feel silly now, paying what they charge for pre-cut patches.

Un-cut, the "Bag of Rags" rags are very good for stock finishing projects, wiping a gun with oil, etc.. I always keep a couple of bags of them around the shop.

greener
Garrulous Maximus
Garrulous Maximus

Re: Gun Cleaning Patches

Post by greener » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:04 am

Sounds like a good idea. I got a "deal" on a bag of patches years ago and have been cutting them down as needed with a pair of shears. I think I'll did through the box of rags we've been collecting for years and start into patch production.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Re: Gun Cleaning Patches

Post by ruger22 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:21 pm

I stick to ready made. I noticed a long time ago that with Hoppe's patches for .35 caliber, you get 650 patches for six bucks (at Gander). With Hoppe's .22 patches, you only get 500 for the same price ? ? ? ? Makes no sense, since the .22s are a lot smaller.

Fine with me, as the .35 actually works better cleaning a .22 bore, and it also works with my .357 LCR. One patch size is all I need.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols