Custom grips

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Custom grips

Post by Georgezilla » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:23 pm

I had wanted new grips for my Hunter ever since I got it, but I just couldn't find any I liked. None of the hogue grips are made for bullseye shooting, and I just didn't like the way the VQ ones looked.
As my search continued I started finding European match style grips. They looked pretty crazy, just like my Hunter, and I knew they were good for bullseye shooting so, I decided to try and make them from a piece of Walnut.
Here is the result so far from start to now.
Most of this was done with a dremel, knife, sand paper and steel wool. There is still much work to be done, as you can see. Within a month or two I hope to have all the shaping done and have the heel rest mounted.

If you guys have any ideas on how to finish them I'd love the input, this is the first time I've carved something from wood so I really have no idea about finishes.

Thanks!

neophyte

good

Post by neophyte » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:29 pm

Georgezilla: Sir; that is some fine looking work.
Good looking fit.
thanks for the showing.
Craig

By the standards of most

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:53 am

Thats some good grip work. I made a set of my own for my Mark I many years back.

I wanted a set of grips that fit my big paws and I changed the grip angle to one that emulated the 1911 pistol. It took quite a while to hand checker those grips but I was very pleased with the outcome.

I used some Behr clear polyurethane finish on them.

Here's an idea for inletting your adjustable grip rest shelf.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:15 pm

Bullseye wrote:Thats some good grip work. I made a set of my own for my Mark I many years back.

I wanted a set of grips that fit my big paws and I changed the grip angle to one that emulated the 1911 pistol. It took quite a while to hand checker those grips but I was very pleased with the outcome.

I used some Behr clear polyurethane finish on them.

Here's an idea for inletting your adjustable grip rest shelf.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye
Those grips are impressive! If I tried to do checkering like yours I would surely die of blood loss :roll: I think I'm just going to do stippling using a dremel.

I've been planning to do the inletting like you posted but I haven't figured out the best way to do it yet. 5/16" bits and above seem to more tear the wood up and get stuck than drill into it, thats with hand held electric drills though. A drill press would probably work better for a countersunk track like that. Gotta go to a friends house to try that though, seeing how I don't own a drill press.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:33 pm

A router will do the job for the inletting, or a router attachment for your Dremel Mototool.

R,
Bullseye