Replacing Mag Safety Parts With a Mark II Bushing

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

recumbent
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by recumbent » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:45 pm

jar wrote:I have a mk3 and want to remove the mag disconnect while doing other work on it. If I decide to put in the VQ hammer, should I get a Mk2 or Mk3 hammer? If I get a mk2 hammer, do I need any additional parts?
you will need the MKII hammer bushing with either hammer you choose.
"I seek not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions."
- Kwai Chang Caine -

jar

Post by jar » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:05 pm

recumbent wrote: you will need the MKII hammer bushing with either hammer you choose.
Thanks for the info. Do you know what the difference is between the MKII and MKIII hammers?

recumbent
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by recumbent » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:38 pm

jar wrote:
recumbent wrote: you will need the MKII hammer bushing with either hammer you choose.
Thanks for the info. Do you know what the difference is between the MKII and MKIII hammers?
The MKIII hammer has a step on the right side of it for the mag safety parts the MKII does not.
When you remove the mag safety parts and leave them out you need the MKII hammer bushing to go in place of those parts. You need the hammer bushing for either hammer you use.
"I seek not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions."
- Kwai Chang Caine -

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:47 am

In the first topic of this thread there's a picture of the Mark III hammer with a Mark II hammer bushing installed. http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/vie ... =4979#4979

It also shows which parts you remove to disconnect the magazine safety.

Welcome to the forum!

R,
Bullseye

jar

Post by jar » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:54 am

Yeah, I saw that. The reason for my questions was that I'm considering the VQ hammer, and wanted to know if there was a reason to get the mk3 hammer over the cheaper mk2 hammer. If I decide not to get the VQ hammer, I'll put the mk2 bushing in my factory mk3 hammer.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:34 pm

The only reason to get a VQ Mark II hammer is if you want to replace the OEM Mark III hammer with a Mark II version. Ruger has designated the OEM Mark II hammer as a "factory only" replacement part. This move effectively removed these OEM style hammers from the replacement parts market. The VQ hammer, with the hole cut in it, is the only replacement option left out on the open market. Other than the cut-out hole there is little difference between the two hammers.

R,
Bullseye

99/100
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by 99/100 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:10 pm

Not to slight Brownells or Clark but VQ custom has the MK II bushing for $8

glockster68

Post by glockster68 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:27 pm

I would assume I could use the VQ MKII bushing also?

http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchant.m ... y_Code=VC2

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:25 am

The VQ and Clark are not the same. The Clark is Oversize, eliminating one of the rotating surfaces. The VQ is a Std MKII Bushing, they started making and selling them when Ruger quit selling them to the public.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:59 pm

A VQ Mark II bushing can be used to remove the mag safety parts. It is just about as tight as a Ruger bushing but will work just fine.

R,
Bullseye

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:59 am

A VQ Mark 2 hammer bushing and an LCI plug are the only mods I've done on my Mark 3. The trigger pull is a bit lighter and the mags drop out freely without the mag safety. Works for me.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

stevet1

Re: Replacing Mag Safety Parts With a Mark II Bushing

Post by stevet1 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:00 pm

Bullseye wrote:If you want to remove the magazine disconnector safety and replace it with a Mark II hammer bushing then all you have to do is remove the parts shown in the red box below.

Then take your new Mark II bushing and place it as shown into the Mark III hammer.

Once the bushing is in place, install the assembly into your pistol using the reassembly instructions on my web help pages. The hammer and new bushing will sit on the disconnector lever and then is placed into the pistol by swinging them down on the disconnector lever.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye
Bullseye thank you for all your expertise! Concerningn the VQ Markii bushing and Markiii hammer, do you need a small washer to take up the gap between them?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:01 pm

Not necessary, as you can see the head of the bushing prevents it from moving toward the hammer. The shape of the bushing keeps everything in place. You should notice magazines will fly out of the grip frame now with that magazine safety hook removed.

R,
Bullseye