Using a chamber iron.

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Using a chamber iron.

Post by Georgezilla » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:35 am

The Model 41 I'm planning to use in an upcoming match has a dented chamber as a result of the firing pin striking it. It has caused rare cycling malfunctions but mostly it seems to prevent the pistol from being able to extract a live cartridge.

So I'm thinking of taking a chamber iron to it. My questions are: Can/is it safe for someone like me, whom just knows the basic on how firearms operate and who has read a small book on gun smithing do this? And if the answer to my first question is yes, where can I buy a chamber iron and which one should I get.

Thanks.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:52 am

They're pretty simple tools and you can use it successfully without gunsmith intervention. Midway has them in stock for $21. http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... mid=777754

R,
Bullseye

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Fri May 02, 2008 4:39 pm

The chamber iron came in today. Used it on the 41, it looks like it will feed a lot more ammo now :P But I'm still having issues manually ejecting live cartridges. The extractor seems to be slipping off the rim of the cartridge when it is half way out of the chamber. I know it's not because the chamber mouth is dented and putruding into the chamber because the cartridges practically fall out of the chamber.

Any advice would help! I have a match May 9th so I'd like it to be up to speed by then.

Thanks.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat May 03, 2008 6:09 am

Hey George,

What does your pistol do when live firing? I ask because manually cycling rimfires often results in cartridges that appear to not cycle. The blowback pressure on the spent case tends to hold it in place on the extractor during the firing cycle.

R,
Bullseye

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Sat May 03, 2008 3:46 pm

During live fire it would cycle just fine, I only recall two times when it didn't. But because of the dented chamber the cartridges were very tight in the chamber, so the two times it didn't extract I had to carefully take a cleaning rod to it, but after using the Iron that doesn't seem to be an issue :lol:

What you said about manually cycling fimfires make sense, I just compared it to my MKIII which has never failed to manually cycle a round.