Early model single six w/fixed rear sight

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Early model single six w/fixed rear sight

Post by Tigerbeetle » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:55 am

Is there really no way to convert the fixed rear site over to an adjustable sight?? It just seems like there should be one of the slide-in adjustables that would fit the slide slot. Would it cost an arm and a leg to see if a gunsmith would be able to do a modification?

TB
Work is for people who don't hunt, plink or fish. Now that I am retired, I hunt, plink and fish. Life is good.
Tigerbeetle

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:32 am

Tigerbeetle,

I know of no replacement adjustable sights for the fixed model single six. You may be able to find a gunsmith who will machine in a Bowen sight to your frame. An Elliason or Accro rear sight may work too.

Here's a link - http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/shop/de ... category=3

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Afraid of that, but...

Post by Tigerbeetle » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:17 am

Thanks for the reply, Bullseye. I will see if I can locate a smith or two here in the Atlanta area and give them a call. It almost looks like it might be possible. There is what appears to be a false tap mark on the left side of the frame just in front of the hammer where the adjustable rear site would have been positioned. I'll let you know if I find any thing on the positive side.
TigerBeetle
Work is for people who don't hunt, plink or fish. Now that I am retired, I hunt, plink and fish. Life is good.
Tigerbeetle

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:49 am

Tigerbeetle,

I just saw this on RFC today. Looks like the poster had his fixed sight Bearcat modified with a S&W sight like I suggested earlier. Take a look at it as I think this is what you had in mind. http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/sh ... p?t=232672

He also needed a taller front sight as would you. Looks like they milled off the original and drilled and tapped the barrel for the aftermarket one.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye