What would you recommend?

The place to discuss all aspects of shotgun shooting.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

What would you recommend?

Post by Hakaman » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:40 am

I am looking for a first shotgun. I have done a little reading and asking around for opinions.
I would like a SG that would be good for skeet/trap, and turkey hunting. I am not sure which
would be the best suited, 20 or 12 gauge, or the type of action.
What manf'r / model / gauge would you recommend?
thanks, haka

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:55 pm

I shoot a Browning Citori 20ga. The gun is very light so if your carrying it on a bird hunt it's easier on you. It has the Vector Choke system so you can adj your spread for your needs just by replacing the insert. You are limited to only 2 shot's so you have to make them count. Being an OU you do not have to chase after your brass. It's one of the few gun I have that has really increased over the years. I bought mine in the early 80's after consisting shooting under my targets with my Rem 1100. I have more shotguns but the Citori is the only one I shoot. These guns are really expensive these day and were when I bought mine. It was almost 3x the price of my Rem 1100.

Some like pump shotguns but I have never liked them.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:01 pm

Rem 870 or mossy 500 are always good all around guns, and are inexpensive compared to the o/u types, for an auto a remmy 1100 or a browning Gold are both good shooters too. I've had my eye on the Mossberg 930/935 for a while they seem solid I just have not been able to justify the purchase. (not into bird hunting, and rarely shoot the clay ones)

I say pick up a bunch and see how they feel then ask around at the gunclub to hear what your cronies think about them, a lot of folks are as onesided on shotguns as they are on Chevy/Ford trucks

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:50 pm

The problem with shooting clay birds, is--Ya gotta boil them for about 6 days before you can chew them. :nah:

99/100
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by 99/100 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:46 pm

I've got an old Benelli M121 that I've actually shot skeet with (and aside from some funny looks) it went as good as I could expect. I learned to shoot skeet with an old model 12 and can definitely say I prefer an autoloader. The new Bennellis use the same type of action that reduces recoil. That said I also own a 500 with a "home" and a "hunting" barrel but I've never tried birds of any type

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:00 am

I'm pretty much with bgreena3 on this one. Especially on the try a bunch part. What fits/suits you may not be for someone else and v/v.
I prsonally use an old Fox Mod. B (savage) SxS 12 ga. for 90% of my hunting and trap. It just seems to fit me, and is as effective a I will let it be. I also have a Rem. 870 in 12 ga. I like it, and it works well. But for some reason, it only gets out about 10% of the time. Usually for ducks, geese, and in bad weather.
12 ga. or 20 ga. pretty much whichever you choose is OK. If you are looking for "better" guns, but with (like me) a low budget, hang out at the local gun shops/pawn shops, etc. and maybe pick up a good used one. They are out there. In my area, there is a blog site (Spokane Gun Traders) that has several sections, For Sale, Wanted, Trade, and chat that is a good place to browse. Maybe there is something like that in your area too.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:30 pm

Thanks for your replies, people, I appreciate them. After some study on the subject,
and talking with experienced folks (you included), I am leaning towards a Remington 1100 20 gauge.
Several people have recommended this particular model. I am still in the beginning stages of interest,
but if I were to buy something now, this would be the top choice.
thanks, Haka

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:14 pm

I wish that you could go to a skeet range and try a few different platforms. Most will tell you that "Fit" is the biggest thing to consider with a shotgun as it is a pointing game. Some new designs will come with the ability to mod the stock for fit to you. This used to only happen with high $$$ guns.A good skeet range officer can be a great help. A shooter with an inexpensive gun that fits and comes up well will beat a shooter with an expensive gun that doesn't fit. Like many here I've owned them all from expensive OU,auto,pump in 12 and 20. Now I have one old 870 Wingmaster 20ga with replacable choke tubes, and have no problem hunting anything with it. Perhaps baom will chime in on this thread as he is a master SG shooter. Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:17 pm

The Rem 1100 are good guns you will be pleased with it. I have a Rem 1100 20 ga Modified choke that I purchased in the late 70's. I learned to shoot on a single shot 20 ga Stevens with a full choke. The drop in the stock was not right for me and I shoot 3' under every thing with it. I only used it a couple of years before I bought my Citori. So the gun is still practicly brand new. My dad still uses a 1100 20 ga for the furry tail rats, that is nearly 50 yrs old. He has a ripple in his retena that keeps him from shooting a rifle any more. He also has a 12ga 1100 that is going to my brother.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:00 pm

I have shot them all and in my opinion the only way to go is with the O/U. Have owned a Winchester 101, several different Browning Citori's a couple of SxS also and A5 and a model 12. My favorite guns were the Browning Special Sporting, and a set of SKB 685's. Shot that set of 685's a lot, many 1,000's of rounds on skeet and sporting clays. Really the most favorite were couple of SKB 28 gauge guns, a 600 and a 685.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:32 pm

Fortunately, I'm not ready to buy one just yet, but this particular SG was recommended from a gun smith who said he would most likey have to modify the stock to fit me. I assumed most shot guns had to be fit to each individual. I think, like was mentioned, I will try a couple at the range before I make my final decision, if I decide to buy one.
Haka

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:22 pm

Medicine Hat wrote:The problem with shooting clay birds, is--Ya gotta boil them for about 6 days before you can chew them. :nah:
CRUNCHY !! BUT GOOD WITH MUSTARD

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:06 am

bgreenea3 wrote:
Medicine Hat wrote:The problem with shooting clay birds, is--Ya gotta boil them for about 6 days before you can chew them. :nah:
CRUNCHY !! BUT GOOD WITH MUSTARD
The spicy brown mustard really brings out the true flavor. A good hot wing sauce is not bad either. Have to get the Big Greener' opinion.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:04 am

roasted garlic would go good with boiled claybird too

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:32 pm

You mean you guys actually eat the clay???