Need input on Buckshot/slugs for Hogs

The place to discuss all aspects of shotgun shooting.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Need input on Buckshot/slugs for Hogs

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:04 am

Hogs are starting to become a big problem around my dad's place. My dad normally shoots a shotgun for the furry tail rats trying to steal his pecans. He has retina deterioration in his left (shooting) eye so shooting a rifle is hard for him. He is left handed and I have tried to get him to shoot right handed but he will not even try. At 89 there no way he is willing to take the effort. I have NO knowledge when it comes to shooting buckshot or slugs from a shotgun so I'm asking for some recommendations. His shotgun is a old (1960's) Rem 1100 20ga with a modified choke. Not even going to guess how may shells he has shot over the years. I maintain the gun for him so it's in good working order. What would be the best ammo for him buckshot, slug's. Is there a problem shooting slugs through a mod choke? What kind of accuracy can he expect and range. I'm bring his Win Model 100 back here Monday for him, but looking through the scope or open sites will all be a blurr.

The hog's I have seen this last week are in the 150# range. I opened fired on one in his pond this week with my Sig 229 9mm. It's all I have besides my 3" Kimber and I can't shoot it with any accuracy past 15 yrds. It was also the closest gun I could get my hands on. It was loaded with Hornady 115gr XTP's, fairly hot loads. The distance was 25 yrds when it saw me and started out of the water. I do think I hit it but I found no blood anywhere, but it got the message it was not wanted around here. All the neighbors around here tell me not to worry on tracking them, the vultures will clean up behind you. The Texas Parks and Wildlife has added a provision to allow you to hunt them from a moving vehicle including from the air with a helicopter. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOfCTWy1Xlc The guy shooting is a pretty good shot considering every thing is moving). It also looks like it would be fun. But if I recall, helicopter time is > $1000/hr so it will be an expensive hunt. Previous state regs did not allow shooting game from a moving vehicle. The current regs now tell you to shoot any and all you see no limit. The have it almost a crime not to shoot them, they are getting so bad. And since they can double their population every 6mo it turning into a big problem real quick.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:02 pm

you can get good accuracy out of a smoothbore with rifled slugs out to 50-75 yards with a bead sight. and it will give plenty of punch on a hog I would say.

with buckshot you'll have about a 25yard effective range, after that it'll spread too much.

so I guess it depends on how far he'll shoot and if he can still take the recoil
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:44 pm

Since he has an vision problem the buck shot may be better for him.

If I go slugs does it require a special barrel?
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:37 pm

rifled slugs out of a smooth barell are fine remington slugger, winchester, or federal low recoil "tactical load" are alll good out if a 12 I would assume a 20 would be simalar.

IF you want to use the fancy sabot slugs ($10+ for 5 :shock: ) you need a rifled barell but they are quite pricey.

00 or 000 buck at 25-30yards and closer will be fine too..

-John Wayne

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:57 am

Thanks, I will pick some up for him.
David

Custom Built 1911

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:39 pm

Blue I forgot to give the disclaimer that I do not have any hog hunting experience. but i have shot slugs and buckshot out of shotguns before.

I did stay at a holiday inn express too...... :roll:

-John Wayne

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:05 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:Blue I forgot to give the disclaimer that I do not have any hog hunting experience. but i have shot slugs and buckshot out of shotguns before.

I did stay at a holiday inn express too...... :roll:
And donkies can fly too. eh?
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:02 pm

Cabella's was out of the buckshot in 20 ga so I ended up getting some slugs. After getting here I noticed they are 1600fps. Is this going to be a problem on a 1960's Rem 1100? Normally high brass 20 ga runs in the 1250fps range for a 1oz load.

I'm going top pick up a cheap laser sight for the shotgun. This will make it easy for my dad to shoot.

The hogs showed back up last night and all I had was my 22. It was just at dark so visibility was at a min. No Moon and Cloud cover. I sure don't want to use a 308 on a tree rat. The spring is dried up behind the pond so it's one of only a few watering holes near the spring/creek bottom. I need to get to the other pond on the west side but that's going to be a problem with my disability. My dad thinks they me hanging out there since it's secluded.
David

Custom Built 1911