Is it my failing eyesight?

The place to discuss all aspects of shotgun shooting.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Buttonwood Bob

Is it my failing eyesight?

Post by Buttonwood Bob » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:56 am

I haven't purchased a new shotgun in many years. I recently got a hankerin' to buy a Remington 870 Express at present attractive prices. Finding one with a walnut stock became a chore, and a lot of long distance driving. When I found one, there was only one, and the stock looked like apple box wood. In fact, it looked more like a pressed wood product than walnut. I chose to wait and look around. Has anyone treated, e.g. stained, sanded, and oiled one of these stocks to make it look descent? Function over form is one thing, but wood should look like wood. I told a friend once that folks used to say I looked like Peter Fonda. He replied, "Don't feel bad, Peter Fonda doesn't look like Peter Fonda these days, either."

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:51 pm

I think good walnut is hard to find and expensive, the laminate stocks I've seen on current 870's look pretty decent to me. Mine is about 10 years old and has the hardwood stock, its a good sturdy wood.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:49 am

I looked at Rem 700's last fall and the Walnut stocks were $300+ more than the Syn stock guns. Keep looking you will find one.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Buttonwood Bob

Post by Buttonwood Bob » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:41 pm

I've solved my problem. Whereas the new 870's have pretty synthetic stocks, there is nothing quite like the patina of an older gun, e.g. Wingmaster, walnut, checkered stock that has been properly cared for over the years. There are just enough folks turning guns into assault weapons that there are many original stock sets on EBay. I got a beauty. You might want to take a look, too.