New shotgun

The place to discuss all aspects of shotgun shooting.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hardball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

New shotgun

Post by Hardball » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:10 pm

I just got an 1100 Remington 12ga 2 3/4". It is about 1970 made, but in newish appearing condition. I put a new o-ring in it and squirted g96 inside and gave it a good wipe down inside for now. It is in great shape. Has a 30" full barrel, 25" imp cyl and a new unfired Remchoke barrel with full, modified, and imp cylinder chokes. I fired some trap shells to test function. No problems at all. The wood buttstock has the original buttplate.

What pad is best for general trap use?
How do I find the best pull length for me when I fit a pad?
How do I break rifle shooting habits?

I also have an old SxS Fox Savage Model B 16ga Single trigger.

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:43 pm

I got this from Roy F. Dunlap's Gunsmithing:

Code: Select all

Height of Man                  Butt Length

5' to 5'4"                         13 1/2"
5'4" to 5'8"                       14"
5'8" to 6'                         14 1/2"
6' to 6'4                          14 3/4"
6'4" to 6'8"                       15"

By "Butt Length" he is referring to length of pull. - Trap shooting was not specifically mentioned, maybe a trap-shooter will speak up.

A good general rule here is that it is difficult to remove more buttstock wood - but impossible to add any, if it's needed.

I've noticed that stock design makes a big difference with me... Some shotguns I do OK with, and others I can't seem to hit anything with, at all.

Good luck, the 1100's are really nice shotguns.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:43 pm

You also have to take into consideration that length of pull is an overall figure. This means if you're going to add a permanent recoil pad that length should also be computed into the pull length. Another option is to use a slip on recoil pad, it will still add some length to the pull but it can be removed later by the user.

You can measure your length of pull with a tape measure and your shooting forearm. Bend your elbow at your side at a 90° angle, with the forearm parallel to the floor. Take the tape measure and go from the inside crook of your elbow, just below the bicep, and measure right down the length of your forearm, out to the first knuckle of your trigger finger. That is the length of pull for your body type. To translate that measurement to your shotgun, measure the length between the end of the recoil pad to the front edge of the trigger.

R,
Bullseye