EXTRA BARREL FOR REM 870

The place to discuss all aspects of shotgun shooting.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

EXTRA BARREL FOR REM 870

Post by jaeger45 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:22 pm

My 12ga Rem 870 has got a modified choke. Having retired and now on a fixed income, that will have to be IT for me. Being a latecomer in SG's, I'd used it only for doves and if lucky enough to be drawn, for ducks next month. (Many years ago, I had a Winchester Mdl 12 with a full choke and I know what that puppy could with high-flyers.) I'd also done several rounds of trap. What I'm trying to say is I'll need a good all-around scattergun- which means I'll need all chokes. for doves, ducks, grouse, pheasants, and clays. Tall order, I guess?

I'd been toying with the idea of getting an adjustable choke installed, but the idea of a muzzle-brake looking contraption at the snout of my SG is not exactly appealing, aside from the possibility of its affecting the balance and my swing. But then again, why not???

Anyway, I'm coming to the conclusion that if I can have my druthers, getting another barrel is the way to go. Since, from what I heard, it comes factory threaded with a set of chokes. However, I had done some homework and the link below doesn't show anything of the kind.

It doesn't have to be a Remington barrel, really- I'm willing to get a generic after-market bbl with chokes so it'll fit my budget.

All inputs, pros and cons, will be greatly appreciated.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... &noImage=0
A bad shot is often caused by a loose nut behind the buttplate