CHOKE FOR TRAP

The place to discuss all aspects of shotgun shooting.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

CHOKE FOR TRAP

Post by jaeger45 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:30 am

I'd shot a few rounds of trap with a friend who unfortunately had relocated, so that I'm now entirely on my own. Formal lessons is out of the question: as a retiree, budget is tight, so tht I'll just do the next best thing: buy a book on trap shooting. Any suggestion?

I also ordered a replacement barrel for my Rem 870 in 12ga, and it will come with full, Mod and IC chokes. I presume the IC choke will be the best choke for trap? I've used 7.5 dove loads. Is this okay? Thanks.
A bad shot is often caused by a loose nut behind the buttplate

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Re: CHOKE FOR TRAP

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:37 am

jaeger45 wrote:I'd shot a few rounds of trap with a friend who unfortunately had relocated, so that I'm now entirely on my own. Formal lessons is out of the question: as a retiree, budget is tight, so tht I'll just do the next best thing: buy a book on trap shooting. Any suggestion?

I also ordered a replacement barrel for my Rem 870 in 12ga, and it will come with full, Mod and IC chokes. I presume the IC choke will be the best choke for trap? I've used 7.5 dove loads. Is this okay? Thanks.
Those loads will be fine and 's would be good also. Th's #8 shot will give you a little more dense pattern due to the higher pellet count. As far as the choke goes, IC is fine if you shoot before the target gets too far out, you may want to try the ICC and the Mod and see which one you prefer. Old trap scooters always use Full, but that was before the plastic wads and the old shell did not patter that good.
Remember know that this is not a game of aiming it is pointing. You point a shotgun and aim a single projectile firearm. Above all remember to always look at the TARGET and not the front sight and shoot them on the rise.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jaeger45 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:12 pm

bearandoldman wrote:
jaeger45 wrote:I'd shot a few rounds of trap with a friend who unfortunately had relocated, so that I'm now entirely on my own. Formal lessons is out of the question: as a retiree, budget is tight, so tht I'll just do the next best thing: buy a book on trap shooting. Any suggestion?

Those loads will be fine and 's would be good also. Th's #8 shot will give you a little more dense pattern due to the higher pellet count. As far as the choke goes, IC is fine if you shoot before the target gets too far out, you may want to try the ICC and the Mod and see which one you prefer. Old trap scooters always use Full, but that was before the plastic wads and the old shell did not patter that good.
Remember know that this is not a game of aiming it is pointing. You point a shotgun and aim a single projectile firearm. Above all remember to always look at the TARGET and not the front sight and shoot them on the rise.
Thanks, Len.

At least, with clays, I don't have to wait for seasons. I'll now scout Amazon for a trapshooting book.

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jaeger45 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:27 am

bearandoldman wrote:

So that I swing to the top and ahead of the clay? But by that time, the clay will be way OUT there, that thang flies so fast... :cry:

langenc

Post by langenc » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:16 pm

If you go to your local club Id bet there are several shooters there that will help a 'new' shooter. The club may even have an afternoon set aside for new shooters with help and a slower pace to get the swing of things.
Ask and you shall recieve-I know you would at our club.

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jaeger45 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:50 pm

langenc wrote:If you go to your local club Id bet there are several shooters there that will help a 'new' shooter. The club may even have an afternoon set aside for new shooters with help and a slower pace to get the swing of things.
Ask and you shall recieve-I know you would at our club.
Thanks for the suggestion.

I'll do just that- inquire and tell them I'm a newbie!