choice of shotgun for home defense

The place to discuss all aspects of shotgun shooting.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

lucam
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by lucam » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:08 am

bearandoldman wrote:
Dwight45 wrote:Way to go! :idea:
My preference is still a 1911, shotguns are for shooting clay targets flying through the air.
I guess if you're a handgun shooter a 1911 would be something you can carry with you and is much quicker. No CCW either for me. However, I know I'm better off with a long gun. Grew up shooting clays, so I know the gun and I just feel better with it. There are a lot of options out there, find something that meets your needs.

I do prefer the wood though. Stopping someone with a bird hunting gun is better that shooting someone with a tactical shotgun. At least I think it might be to some ignorant jury fools.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:33 am

lucam wrote:
bearandoldman wrote:
Dwight45 wrote:Way to go! :idea:
My preference is still a 1911, shotguns are for shooting clay targets flying through the air.
I guess if you're a handgun shooter a 1911 would be something you can carry with you and is much quicker. No CCW either for me.
See your location, guess in the land of Arnalt a CPL is hard to get and even any gun takes too long
Not a believer in bad looking black shotguns either, think I have about 8 shotguns in different gages, all O/U's with 28 inch or longer tubes. Used to shoot a lot of sporting clays myself some years back before I fad some vision problems. Used to through a flat of shells a week nd sometime 2 flats, sure was fun.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:26 pm

A shotgun with a good defense load is far better in close quarter situations than a handgun. Give me a Mossy 500 and some good 00Buck and I'll defend the castle against all attacking hordes.

R,
Bullseye

lucam
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by lucam » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:49 pm

bearandoldman wrote: See your location, guess in the land of Arnalt a CPL is hard to get and even any gun takes too long
HA! Guess where I just moved to? WISCONSIN! NO CCW EITHER! AAGH!

So frustrated.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sat May 02, 2009 11:31 am

I'm firmly in the shotgun camp if I have a choice. The slide(like the one on this 870 Wingmaster Police Folder) working in the middle of the night will for certain calm all but the insane. What ever you choose a light is as important as ammo. You need to be the one who can see. 8)

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat May 02, 2009 11:54 am

KAZ, my friend, just keep it loaded and the safety on. Shotgun like that is great in close quarters but the noise of the slide racking will really get teh BG's attention. Then he knows where you are , but5 do you know where he is??/ Be silent, be sneaky and get to be an old man like me and don't whatever you do forget to give the dog his cookies.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sat May 02, 2009 12:10 pm

Well, I'm sure that you are not surprised to discover that KAZ, family, and I have a several layered welcome for any unwanted interlopers. KAZ is only the backup early warning/attack system. We have always been security conscious and knowing what and where a threat exist is not really that difficult with the low/no light cameras, motion/heat light detectors is easy. We will Red Dawn their azz 8)

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat May 02, 2009 12:25 pm

KAZ wrote:Well, I'm sure that you are not surprised to discover that KAZ, family, and I have a several layered welcome for any unwanted interlopers. KAZ is only the backup early warning/attack system. We have always been security conscious and knowing what and where a threat exist is not really that difficult with the low/no light cameras, motion/heat light detectors is easy. We will Red Dawn their azz 8)
Don't have any of that fancy electronic stuff that requires electricity or batteries just my alarm system that runs on love and dog cookies, and a couple of 1911's with rear night sights. They sure are easy to find on the dresser in the dark, just set them down with the muzzle to the wll and you can see them glow.
Bear is a big dog and has a big bark, loud and harsh, most likely just look for a guy running down the street with dirty underwear.
Well. we be off to the range to play for a while coop gad a good report on RFC, check it out.

perazzi

Post by perazzi » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:22 pm

bearandoldman wrote:....... the noise of the slide racking will really get teh BG's attention. Then he knows where you are .....

There can only be one..

1897 Winchester Trench Gun..

It may be the last thing they hear...... :wink:

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:42 pm

I wouild prefer a model 12 in the same configuration, a little more reliable. An older one without the disconnectr, so you can hold the trigger and keep on shucking, tghat will get you 7 loads on the way to the BG.

perazzi

Post by perazzi » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:04 pm

bearandoldman wrote:I wouild prefer a model 12 in the same configuration, a little more reliable. An older one without the disconnectr, so you can hold the trigger and keep on shucking, tghat will get you 7 loads on the way to the BG.
But, the ol' 97 is much, much louder when rackin' the slide :wink:

radio
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by radio » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:16 pm

dragging up an older thread here, but...

I just picked up a new Mossberg Maverick 88 Security at a chain sporting good store today for $189 plus tax. With 4 purchases in the last 60 days my gun funds are now GONE for a while and couldn't see paying $120 more for a similar home defense shotgun. It has the 18.5" barrel, 5+1 capacity, synthetic stock and no bells nor whistles. This is the only Mossberg that I've ever fooled with and the safety location will take some getting used to.

I have 2 Remington 870s used for hunting and had planned to "retire" 1 to home defense, but couldn't buy the shorter barrel and stock for the price of the Maverick. The Mav is certainly Mossberg's budget line, but I have read numerous good reviews and personally know a few LEO's that have one for "on duty" use.

I shot a box of 25 #6 through it, cleaned it and loaded the magazine with 5 rounds of #00 buck with 5 more strapped to the stock. I sure hope it lives a long, boring life behind the bedroom door and I never have to fire it other than the occasional "function test".

BTW, I don't personally care for shotgun accessories such as sights, lights, slings, etc. I hunt with a shotgun A LOT and fully subscribe to the KISS theory whether afield or in the home.

arizona-hermit
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

HD Shotgun

Post by arizona-hermit » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:37 pm

Saiga 12 ga Auto
or
Mossberg 590, also in 12 ga
But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain. [1 COR 15:10a - NASB]

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:07 pm

You know, young, inexperienced hakaman had his mind made up on what shotgun he was going to buy until he read this article!!! (why am I talking in third person?) Now I don't know what to buy.
Haka

radio
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by radio » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:52 am

some interesting testing done with buckshot, etc....

http://www.theboxotruth.com/

btw, he is using the Mossberg Maverick Security in much of the testing