Moly coated bullets ?

A section to discuss marksmanship issues: techniques, equipment, experiences, etc.

Also, a place to ask marksmanship related questions to seek information from the vast knowledge base of this forum's membership.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Python
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Moly coated bullets ?

Post by Python » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:08 pm

Anyone use these instead of the wax coated bullets?

I bought a bunch for my Python from Billy Bullets(148gr DEWC) and they seam to shoot great, but am wondering about the .45.

I bought some Laredo's and some Silver State(200gr SWC) that I have been using in the RRA.(both shoot great at the 50ft line)

Just wondering if the moly coated cast bullets were up to par for competition or is it just whater ever load works in my gun?

Just looking for advise from the experienced for cast with wax or cast with moly.

What cast bullets do you use in competition or if you use jacketed.

I have a thing about only using lead in my guns, to keep down the barrel wear.

Clarence;

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Moly bullets

Post by stork » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:36 am

The only person I know of who is/was shooting moly was Darius Young. A very good, past national champion. Whether they are accurate or not will depend on their consistency and if they fit your bore dimentions. Knowing the reputation on RRA, I don't think we have to ask if the gun shoots.

Like you I choose to shoot lead whenever possible to extend the life of my match barrel. The only exception is State and Regional matches and Camp Perry, then I use Remington 185 SWC.

I cast all my own bullets. H&G 130's for the short line and 50' (185 gr SWC), and H&G 68's for 50 yards. I started using my own after being disapointed with the quality of local bullets and the expense of buying.

Stork
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

melchloboo
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by melchloboo » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:07 pm

What is Moly? I recently switched from hornady 38 special wadcutters to speer's dry lubed wadcutters. Is that dry lube moly?

Whatever it is, it keeps wax from getting all over my press and dies, which was leading to inconsistent seating.

I found no difference whatsoever between the two at the range. Just a cleaner press.