Another question !! NRA rules

A section to discuss marksmanship issues: techniques, equipment, experiences, etc.

Also, a place to ask marksmanship related questions to seek information from the vast knowledge base of this forum's membership.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

perazzi

Another question !! NRA rules

Post by perazzi » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:27 pm

what common mods on a MkIII will violate the competition rules...

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:35 pm

Removing (or disabling) any factory installed safety devices is one. Having a trigger pull of less than two pounds is another. If you have an iron sight radius greater than ten inches from rear blade to the rear of the front blade is one. Using a sight that transmits a beam of light down onto the targets is not allowed. A style of grip that completely wraps around the wrist or provides artificial support to the wrist is another.

R,
Bullseye

perazzi

Post by perazzi » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:39 pm

Would they consider the magazine disconnect a safety device then???

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:48 pm

Yes they would, as it is a factory installed safety feature. This would be a weapon disqualifying modification for a formal NRA match. Typically all pistols are checked and triggers weighed prior to the match. If you look at the picture Stork has of his Match 1911 in the sticky, you'll notice the white tape on the front of the frame trigger guard. This is typically how a pistol is certified as having been inspected prior to a match. They use different color tape bands for each match to prevent folks from applying their own instead of having their pistols certified by the match officials.

However most local matches do not care if an internal safety, like mag safety are operable, and mainly concern themselves with the thumb safety and overall operation of the pistol.

R,
Bullseye

perazzi

Post by perazzi » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:57 pm

Now that you mention it, I do remember the colored bands back in the '70's shooting PPC...

Well, that's good information to have at hand....

Hardball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Hardball » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:48 am

My 41 was supposed to have been gunsmithed at Ft Benning. That is only the word I have. The trigger is indeed one of the best ever. But I remain skeptical about it as the mag disconnect was defeated, and the barrel (1977ish 5.5") was a keyholer. Also the cocking indicator piece was removed. I got it used but it was like new in appearance.

I have adjusted the spring inside to restore the mag disconnect. (figured that out all by myself), had the barrel relined at 10 ring, and picked up a cocking indicator piece (not installed yet). But I shoot Hammerlis and Bob Marvel conversions instead.