Fine tuning

A section to discuss marksmanship issues: techniques, equipment, experiences, etc.

Also, a place to ask marksmanship related questions to seek information from the vast knowledge base of this forum's membership.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

mark II
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Fine tuning

Post by mark II » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:34 pm

Trying to fine tune my stance alittle and want to know what you guys do and think. Again this is indoor, 50 ft., 22's.
Bullseye had helped me about a year ago by suggesting pivoting my gun in my hand. Here are my thoughts, I like standing at a 45 degree angle and one reason is because my arm feels strong in that position. Also I like the gun centered in the u shape of my plam because I have a better grip. Well you can't do both at the same time, at least not me. So I can turn my back foot father away from the target which puts my shooting arm father away from my center line or I can pivot the gun, barrel moving to the right. Another idea is to tilt my head but I believe that is not to good. I try and keep my eyes looking straight to the target and head upright. I want to use the Herrett'45 maybe they are thicker and will help turn the gun more, I have the 22/45 RP. So enought rambling for now.
Thanks,
mark II

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:43 pm

We are all different sizes and shapes so that means each of us has to compensate a little for our physical differences. An adjustment here, a tweak there, find what works for you and also allows you to relax your trunk and still stay on target. If that means standing at an angle other than 45° to the target so be it. Using your feet to change your aiming point is the right thing to do. This manner of shifting allows you to keep your natural point of aim (NPA) which is that relaxed position I mentioned earlier. The natural point of aim is important because as you concentrate on the fundamentals of shooting your body is going to relax and the gun should be centered on target, otherwise you'll be fighting to keep the sights on target throughout the string.

R,
Bullseye

Hardball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Hardball » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:39 am

There are various small adjustment ranges in head chest shoulder grip cant etc to align the sights on the seeing line. So forget the target until you can see the sights on your seeing line. Then going to the target is just a matter of foot movement. Your foot position can change a bit during a match. Lately i have found myself turning my feet to stand more towards 90 deg from the target.

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:41 am

when I was in class for the NRA's Pistol Coaching certification they were showing a lot of videos of Olympic shooters. The comment was made about how close they kept their feet together. They may be pivoted at various degrees from the target, but it was amazing how many of them kept their feet close together (like 2-4" apart).

I have always kept to the opinion that they should be about shoulder width apart, wider in the wind to keep your base good and solid. I haven't tried this for any kind of longer term test while keeping records of the scores, but the couple of times I tried it, it does seem to make a difference. The longer term scores will tell.

I'll try it this winter when shooting indoors and not dealing with wind.
FWIW
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

Hardball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Hardball » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:16 pm

From my Blankenship files to add to the "natural" of sight alignment...

"...Perfect sight alignment is necessary to get good
scores, and having a natural alignment of the arm,
hand and gun to the eye will keep the sights perfectly
aligned."

Then, move your feet to orient the aligned sights on the aim area.

mark II
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by mark II » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:29 pm

Well this is getting good, please keep the ideas coming. So from a 45 deg. position I turn my back foot parallel to the shooting line my shooting arm opens up a little bringing the target, dot in the scope and my eye more in line. I try and keep my eyes parallel to the shooting line. My shooting arm feels weaker father away from my center line but can't have eveything. I'm going to try moving my feet closer together, I'm shooting indoors so I don't have to worry about the wind.
It's funny because I could shoot 300's in indoor archery but don't come close with a pistol.
Thanks guys,
mark II

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:26 pm

Personally, I took some time with a laser taped to a pistol to figure out which positions were the most stable.

Get set up, sight in, and have someone else watch the dot while you watch the front sight.