Back after years away

A section to discuss marksmanship issues: techniques, equipment, experiences, etc.

Also, a place to ask marksmanship related questions to seek information from the vast knowledge base of this forum's membership.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

giuseppe

Back after years away

Post by giuseppe » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:06 pm

Now that our children are (more) grown, I have time to return to Bullseye. The main difference is my eyes are now over 50, like the rest of me.

Back in the early 80s I shot an early Aimpoint (big, heavy and ate batteries like crazy). I see technology has progressed since then.

I bought a new Ruger Mark III Target today to go along with the Mark I Target I still have. Ordered stocks to fit my left hand, and sent the "frame" off to Volquartsen for their trigger pieces.

Now I need to figure out the sights. I read the UltraDot post from earlier in the year, and it seems to be a quantum leap from my old Aimpoint (although it does make a very nice paperweight). It sounds like the UltraDot is the way to go. Have any users' opinions changed in the 6 months since that thread was active?

I guess the big question is MatchDot or UltraDot? There is a local indoor range, and an outdoor club within 30 minutes. Is one preferable to the other for indoor or outdoor use?

I'll appreciate any comments.

Thanks.

giuseppe

Python
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Python » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:54 pm

I have been shooting Bullseye for a little over a year and a half now.

I have two Ultra Dot 4 dot Match Dots, both are 30mm tubes on my M41 and Rock River .45 wad gun.

I have had no issues with either of them, except forgetting to turn them off after a match (LOL).

I use Leupold low profile steel quick release rings on both rigs.
When I do a complete tear down of the .45, I remove the scope.
I place it back on and the next shot out of it is dead on.
Best rings out there for repeatability in my honest opinion.

Some shooters prefer the 1" tubes and aluminum rings to cut down weight.
I prefer heavier the better, but that is just me cause it works for me.

I like the 4 dot system(2-4-6-8 MOA dots) with 11 brightness settings.
I prefer the 2 MOA dot at the 50 yrs line.
Sometimes I will use the 4 MOA dot at the 25yd line(a lot of it is due to various days of brightness here in the land of the sun(Phoenix, Arizona)

I do wear Vermillion glasses on certain days and Bronze lenses on very bright days(these are Decots from my previouse 4 and half years of Skeet competition.).

Hope this helps.
Others I am sure will give their advise also.

Clarence Perkins
Master indoor and out
Distinguished Revolver Badge #99
EIC Service Pistol = 30 pts.(need a hard leg)
10z n Xs

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:04 pm

I still use my Aimpoint 2000 from the mid-eighties. The Ultra Dot is the way to go if you're serious about getting back into bullseye shooting. I'm partial to the regular models. I don't need different sized dots and setting or colors. just give me the dot and that's it. The UD 30 or UD 25 are both good for shooting on the Conventional Pistol line.

R,
Bullseye

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:38 am

I'm still partial to the 1" Ultra Dots. I've tried the 30mm Match Dot and just couldn't develop a liking for either the larger dot or the larger field of view. I did start shooting BE with a 30mm tube (Tasco PDP3) and thought that was the way to go, until I discovered how much parallax it had.

The first thing I do is throw away the rings that come with it. then I put on a set of Weaver low rings. They allow me to remove and remount without loss of zero on both my 22's and 45.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

giuseppe

Post by giuseppe » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:38 pm

Bullseye wrote:I still use my Aimpoint 2000 from the mid-eighties.

R,
Bullseye
My Aimpoint is a Mark III. It's so old it doesn't use batteries - it uses whale blubber oil.

I think there's an UD30 in my very near future.
giuseppe