Exercises to limber up for shooting

A section to discuss marksmanship issues: techniques, equipment, experiences, etc.

Also, a place to ask marksmanship related questions to seek information from the vast knowledge base of this forum's membership.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

J Miller
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Exercises to limber up for shooting

Post by J Miller » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:20 pm

Some months back I started shooting in an email shooting league. What I found was that due to injuries to my back and neck, I'm no where near as limber as I used to be. I can't assume the shooting positions I used to without pain developing in the muscles of my back, neck and shoulders. And this is magnafied when I try to shoot one handed. I have a nerve damage caused weekness in my right hand, arm and shoulder that I am fighting with.
I've come home from just a couple hours of deliberate shooting totally exhausted from this pain.
My problems are compounded in that some of my vertabre are fused from arthritus and old injuries. I simply cannot twist as I used to. So I twist other places to compensate.
So far that's not working too good.

What my questions are, is there any forms of exercises someone could recomend for me to do that would stretch and limber me up so I can shoot more?

I've tried to do some at the range, but usually I just waste my time.

Thanks,

Joe

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:54 pm

It sounds like you're looking for a little shooting physical therapy. First, has you doctor approved you for this type of activity? The jarring on you joints and neck from recoil can cause you pain and even further nerve damage.

Assuming you have permission, here's a few ideas to get you started. You can get a few things to assist you build up some flexibility from the atrophy of recuperation. You have to start out slowly and there's no overnight fix. Try to get a long piece of surgical tubing. Also some aroebic weights (the hand ones with screw-on adjustable weights sizes) are a good start. Like this type:

Stretching exercises are a good start. Arm stretches, body stretches, leg stretches. Then take the surgical tubing and step on one end, grab the other in the hand on the same side of your body. Pull the arm upwards slowly until it is parallel with the floor, stretching out the tubing to give some isometric resistance. Bring down your hand slowly to the down position. Repeat this motion 10 times if you can. Start out slowly, not to much resistance from the tubing to start. Later you can step on the tubing closer to your hand for more resistance. And you can add more 10 reptition sets as your strength grows. This excercise will strengthen the balls of your shoulders, neck, and back muscles. Switch arms and repeat the excercises.

Get down on the floor onto your hands and knees. Again you'll use the tubing. Place one end of the tubing under one palm. Take the other end in the opposite hand. You'll be balancing on three points: both knees, and one hand. Extend the hand that is free out to your side with the arm straight and pulling the tubing outwards. This will increase the muscle strength in your shoulder blades and back. Again, little tension to start and try to complete 10 repetitions. This is like doing an inverse fly excercise. Once you gain some strength, you can increase the tension or the repetitions. Switch arms and repeat the excercises.

After you gain some flexibility you can start using the aerobic weights to do the same types of excercises as with the tubing. You can also do the straight arm lift from perpendicular to the floor to parallel with the floor with the weights. Try this as if your were picking up the pistol and holding it straight outwards. Hold the weight out for a ten count and repeat. Start with 10 reps and a light weight. Increase as you feel capable.

If you start feeling too much pain or numbness - stop! Seek out your medical professional to ensure you're not damaging anything. Take it slowly and work up to gain strength. Too fast and aggressive can set your recouperation back. Your health is more important than a hobby. If you start with these things you'll be able to later do other more strenuous excercises. With time your arm strength and stamina will improve to a point where you can hold the pistol properly.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

Bud33
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Bud33 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:30 am

Bullseye has given you some good advice. Work slowly and don't try to do to much to soon.
Another thing to work on in your grip. A strong grip will help you develop good trigger control. I use to walk around with a rubber ball in my right hand squeezing it and relaxing and squeezing again. I know my friends thought I was nuts. I also took sheets of news paper, cut them into half sections and would place a pile of them on a table next to the chair that I sat in when watching TV. I would place the palm of my right hand onto the top sheet, and using just the hand , start to ball that sheet of paper into the smallest ball I could make.
Good physical and mental conditional is every bit as important as the time you spend poking holes in the paper :!:
Bud

Beware the man who only has one gun.
HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:00 pm

Bud33 wrote:Bullseye has given you some good advice. Work slowly and don't try to do to much to soon.
Another thing to work on in your grip. A strong grip will help you develop good trigger control. I use to walk around with a rubber ball in my right hand squeezing it and relaxing and squeezing again. I know my friends thought I was nuts. I also took sheets of news paper, cut them into half sections and would place a pile of them on a table next to the chair that I sat in when watching TV. I would place the palm of my right hand onto the top sheet, and using just the hand , start to ball that sheet of paper into the smallest ball I could make.
Good physical and mental conditional is every bit as important as the time you spend poking holes in the paper :!:
That's some good advice Bud. I still carry a racquet ball in the glove box for exactly the same reason. Every chance I got I squeezed the heck out of it, works real great when stuck in traffic. Not only did it improve my grip but it's good stress therapy, a racquet ball is every bit as good as those wimpy foam stress balls they give people these days.

R,
Bullseye

Ripsaw
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Ripsaw » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:08 pm

Check out this website Encyclopedia of Bullseye Pistol http://www.bullseyepistol.com/stamina.htm

Maybe you can get some ideas for your own workout regimen.
There a lot of good info on this site.

Ripsaw