Proper MK-II grips for isosceles stance

A section to discuss marksmanship issues: techniques, equipment, experiences, etc.

Also, a place to ask marksmanship related questions to seek information from the vast knowledge base of this forum's membership.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

leeharrysouth

Post by leeharrysouth » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:45 pm

Hi all. First, this is my first post on this great forum. I feel fortunate that I found it and sure I will gain alot from it. I have a MK-II Target Model with 5-1/2 inch bull barrel, ultradot sight and Ruger right hand grips with thumb rest. I have recently changed my stance from weaver to isosceles. This all came about because of arthoritis and eye problems. I find that I am shooting much better now that I have adopted the isosceles. I hold the pistol with both hands. Right hand as high as possible on grip with thumb extended straight out. The left hand engages the grip with thunb also pointing straight out and somewhat ahead of right hand thumb. All other fingers wraped around the right hand fingers. I came across this grip hold by way of Todd Jettett who is a shooter for PARA. My question is should I be using a pistol grep that does not have a thumb rest. I beleave the thumb rest is ment for single hand shooting. I often wonder if I could better grasp a grip without a thumbrest. I find that when using this technique on my .45, which has no thumb rest, it feels more comfortable and secure. If a new grip is needed could anyone recommend a good one.

Thanks

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:52 pm

Welcome to Guntalk-Online!

Your question depends on how pronounced your thumb rest is on your grips and if they interfere with your non-dominant hand positioning. There are many brands of grips with a subtle thumb rest, like some of the Ruger brand and even the Hogues. If your using a brand like the Volquartsen Target grips then you may have some difficulty with your hand positioning. The others are more like bumps instead of thumb rests and only provide a minimal of material for the thumb to ride against. Hogue rubber monogrips also have a non-thumbrest version that feels real good with the Ruger rimfire autopistol and they are relatively inexpensive at under $20 for a set.

R,
Bullseye

leeharrysouth

Post by leeharrysouth » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:38 am

Thanks Bullseye. I do like the way Hogue grips with or without thumbrest look. The grip with a thumbrest looks especially nice. It seems to have a very low profile thumb rest that may not interfere with a two hand hold. Guess I would just have to check a pair out to see how they feel. I do have one concern. I read some where in the past that the soft rubber of which the Hogue grip is made would allow a pistol grip frame assymbly pin to work it's way out. I am not totaly sure that is problem was with Hogue grips for the MK-II. Just something I read in the past.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:29 pm

Not an issue as long as the grip screws are kept tight/secure in the frame.

R,
Bullseye