Pinkie

A section to discuss marksmanship issues: techniques, equipment, experiences, etc.

Also, a place to ask marksmanship related questions to seek information from the vast knowledge base of this forum's membership.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

jambie

Pinkie

Post by jambie » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:55 am

Do you use your pinkie finger to grip your pistol?
For some time I have been using the center, ring and pinkie to grasp the pistol grip. But I read lately (not sure where) that only the center and ring finger should be used. I supposed the fewer fingers the less chance of something twitching and disturbing the sights. I think I will try out and see how it works out.
Any shooters out there that can comment on the pitfalls (or lack thereof) of using the pinkie.

Ah, yes this is for bullseye shooting.

Thanks

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:30 am

No, I do not use the pinky finger to grip the pistol. I leave it relaxed and sticking out - kind of like sipping a cup of tea. This way the pistol's grip is centered in the palm of the hand and is not disturbed by any inadvertant squeezing of the fingers. The pinky finger being the farthest from the center of the plam will disturb the hold more due to increased leverage. Some people do have their pinky fingers on the base of the grip but they still leave that finger relaxed when firing in Bullseye competition. The two middle fingers grasp the grip and control the pistol through the recoil cycle.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

Bud33
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Bud33 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:46 pm

I, like Bullseye do not use the pinkey finger.
When taking my grip, I place the ring finger first, then wedge the middle finger between it and the trigger guard. This sort of locks the grip in place.
I can't tell you where I learned it but I have been doing it that way for so long that it is now automatic.
Bud

Beware the man who only has one gun.
HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!

Hardball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Hardball » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:49 pm

No pinky use here. For 22 anyway. I have my thumb and pinky standing proud of the grip in 22 SF. I do find my pinky useful in SA revolver T&R.

Ripsaw
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Ripsaw » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:01 pm

This is the first time that I've ever even thought about your pinky as applied to pistol gripping.

I had to try it to see what actually happens, as I never really paid attention.

I wrap mine around the grip but there is no real pressure on it. I think I just kind of fold it around to keep it out of the way.

Ripsaw

Hardball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Hardball » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:16 pm

Wow! Look at that. Three Distinguished Badges in a row. Pretty good company.