Spotting scope for bullseye pistol

A section to discuss marksmanship issues: techniques, equipment, experiences, etc.

Also, a place to ask marksmanship related questions to seek information from the vast knowledge base of this forum's membership.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Spotting scope for bullseye pistol

Post by Georgezilla » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:34 am

Finally going to get a spotting scope... I am looking for some recommendations on spotting scopes for bullseye use that are in the price range of $200 - $250.

Any recommendations appreciated! Thanks.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:33 pm

I am real cheapo. I have an old, probably 1970's, boy scout type scope, 7-32X50, that I got off eBay for $20. It fits on a 12-48 inch tripod I got at Big Lots for $8. Otherwise I use some 8X25 Bushnell binocs I got on clearance at Gander for $15.

Now everyone else can tell you the good stuff to get...... :crazy eyes:
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:26 pm

I use a 35 yr old Bushnell stalker 10-30x. I picked through a half dozen or so at a LSG years back. My only complaint is it's a straight eyepiece. But no problem picking out 22 cal holes at 50 yards or .177 holes at 33'.

There's a couple on ebay.
Bushnell Competitor-it was their BE scope a while back.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Bushnell-spotting-s ... 2eb3d529be

They had a stalker 10-30 when I looked last week, but it's either over or I couldn't find it.

I also tried a Celestron compact with the angled eyepiece. It just wasn't as clear as the stalker so I went back to it.

All three of these fit very nicely in a Gun Ho 4 pistol box when mounted on Gil Hegards mount.

FWIW
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:22 pm

I use a Simmons 12-36x50 spotting scope. I purchased it about three years ago, and it has worked just fine. Back when I bought it, it was $75.00, now they are $89.99. These prices are From Natchez Shooters Supply website. If you are looking for a scope just for your pistol box, and for spotting targets only, you could probably use a smaller scope with less magnification, and save weight and room in you pistol box, while still being able to spot out to 50 yards. Also, a scope with an angled eye piece is something to consider. My scope does not have an angled eye piece, and I don't find this to be a problem at all, but an angled one might be slightly more convenient. I don't have anything to compare this scope to, but for the price and performance I would rate it 5/5. Also I have a Gun-Ho pistol box, with a Gil Hebard scope mount.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:20 pm

I use an old Bushnell Sentry II in my pistol box.

R,
Bullseye

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:08 pm

Thanks for sharing!

I think it is between the Bushnell Sentry 12-36x50 or the Simmons 12-36x50
Bushnell link: http://www.bushnell.com/products/scopes ... ry/789332/

Simmons link: http://www.bushnelloptics.com/simmons-s ... 41100.html

I am leaning towards the Bushnell Sentry due to its smaller size. Does the Bushnell Sentry sacrifice anything for being a smaller size, or are the Bushnell and Simmons comparable?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:02 am

Even though the Bushnell 12-36x is smaller lengthwise it is far thicker in girth. This may pose a problem fitting in your gun box, especially if you use a Hebard style pistol box scope mount. The 18-36x Bushnell may fit in your box better or the Simmons 12-36x tube.

R,
Bullseye

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:02 am

I had not thought of that, thanks for pointing it out, Bullseye.

I know this is a very subjective question, but I do not know much about these optics, so I'll ask. Its between the Simmons 12-36x or the Bushnell
18-36x; the Bushnell being slightly more expensive. Is there a big difference in quality between these brands? Does the more expensive Bushnell provide superior image clarity or something like that?

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:36 pm

I would think that both of these scopes are pretty close in quality. I know the Simmons has a bk7 prism lens. From what I have read these are pretty much standard on cheaper spotting scopes. I don't know what lens the Bushnell has. In my winter Bullseye league, the lighting is not very good, and I have no problems spotting with the Simmons. Using the Simmons outside on a sunny or cloudy day, it seems to work very well. I think you will be happy with either scope. Hope this helps.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:47 pm

Generally at regular pistol distances either scope will do fine for spotting holes in the target.

R,
Bullseye