Adjust sights, or adjust me?

A section to discuss marksmanship issues: techniques, equipment, experiences, etc.

Also, a place to ask marksmanship related questions to seek information from the vast knowledge base of this forum's membership.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

parallax

Post by stork » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:18 am

I first noticed parallax on my Tasco dot (10 yrs ago) when I was doing some Ransom testing. While the pistol was mounted in the rest I happened to shift around and moved my head position sideways, relative to the dot. I saw the dot move (@ 50 yds) 6-7". That explained quite a few well executed shots that were no where near my area of call.

Here's an easy way to check your dot. Lay your pistol on the bench with the dot aimed at a target about 50 yards away. Back up, so your head is at least 20" away and do not touch the pistol. Then move your head from side to side and up and down while keeping your focus on the dot. The dot should not move from its original position on the target. If it shifts, you have parallax and the dot will cost you points.

The most movement I would accept is less than 1" @ 50 yards. while I haven't had the chance to test every brand out there, the best I have found was the Ultra Dots. In addition to being very free of parallax they have withstood tens of thousands of 45 acp rounds while being mounted on the slide. I have 6 mounted on all my BE guns, with the exception of my hardball 1911.
FWIW
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

bingd

Post by bingd » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:53 am

Bullseye wrote:
@ Bullseye

Sir, is today's red dot, like my Bushnell Trophy, as they claimed parallax free 100% true? Is there a way of checking its veracity?
Thanks,
bingd
The only true way to test this is to try intentionally positioning your head in different places behind the scope and see if the holes consistently group away from where the dot is located.

R,
Bullseye

I've done it in the 3, 6, 9 and 12 o'clock positions, and found what Bushnell claimed is right..

Once again, my sincerest appreciation of your generosity . . .

Thanks,

bingd

bingd

Re: parallax

Post by bingd » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:15 pm

stork wrote:I first noticed parallax on my Tasco dot (10 yrs ago) when I was doing some Ransom testing. While the pistol was mounted in the rest I happened to shift around and moved my head position sideways, relative to the dot. I saw the dot move (@ 50 yds) 6-7". That explained quite a few well executed shots that were no where near my area of call.

Here's an easy way to check your dot. Lay your pistol on the bench with the dot aimed at a target about 50 yards away. Back up, so your head is at least 20" away and do not touch the pistol. Then move your head from side to side and up and down while keeping your focus on the dot. The dot should not move from its original position on the target. If it shifts, you have parallax and the dot will cost you points.

The most movement I would accept is less than 1" @ 50 yards. while I haven't had the chance to test every brand out there, the best I have found was the Ultra Dots. In addition to being very free of parallax they have withstood tens of thousands of 45 acp rounds while being mounted on the slide. I have 6 mounted on all my BE guns, with the exception of my hardball 1911.
FWIW

Thanks for the added tips Stork; I gladly encoded it in my tuning cues..

Ultratra Dots have good reviews, and I want to have one but the price. If it is imported here in the Philippines, the price more than doubles in the form of taxation and mark-up of legitimate importers..

I guess, i'll have to stick with what I have now and have the UDs at the most opportune time...

bingd