good target then bad

A section to discuss marksmanship issues: techniques, equipment, experiences, etc.

Also, a place to ask marksmanship related questions to seek information from the vast knowledge base of this forum's membership.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

45dave

good target then bad

Post by 45dave » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:29 am

This winter I have been shooting indoor air gun at my sportsman club. The pistol I am using is a Pardini so it is excellent. Maybe one of you folks can give me something to work towards my problem. I am working on the expert level, basically I have to shoot basically 80 or better. What I find happening is I shoot a 88 on one target, then switch to my second one and shoot a 72...ug.
The things I have tried are to insure I am neutral, grip, stance, breathing...but so far this seems to fade in and out.
I am suspecting it is something between my ears that is working against me right now but I am not giving up. Oh...for what it is worth..it is international airgun targets, 10 meters. I have to laugh at myself, I shoot two tens or a X on the first target...then switch and hit a 3 ring...at least it keeps me humble.
Thanks for any suggestions other than kicking my dog.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:30 am

It is difficult to make a detailed training regimen recommendation based on little specific information about the problem, so I'll generalize a bit. Precision airgun shooting takes a tremendous amount of mental concentration and physical stamina. If one or the other falls off as the training session progresses then the results decline at almost a parabolic rate. Airgun shooting requires exceptional concentration, its not as easy as it seems for the relatively short distance of 10 meters.

I'm just spit-balling out some ideas and not assigning any of these to your performance. View these ideas and see if any sound similar to something that you may be experiencing during your training sessions. Some possibilities could be muscle fatigue from holding the pistol extend outward for too long at one time, trying to break a really good shot. Another could be mental fatigue causing a drop off in concentration resulting in less follow through on the shot - a critical component of airgun shooting. Sometimes I see competitors ease up on their fundamentals when they have a successful string. Perhaps a euphoric sense of, "I got this licked." A feeling which is quickly dispensed when the next string is far less successful. Lastly, a shooter can establish a sense of internal pressure that occupies large fraction of their mental concentration as they press themselves to achieve the same level of success as the session continues.

I don't know if any of these will help but forget about the scores and work to build a routine into each shot. That routine should sequentially take you through the fundamental steps for a good shot. Then follow that routine to the letter on each successive shot. Document your performance after each string but don't dwell on the overall score. At the end of the day reflect how you felt during the session and write it down. A careful analysis of your notes will reveal a training pattern that is successful. Make only minor changes to your routine and review the results carefully after the session to determine if they assist or detract from your routine. Too many people attempt several changes at a time and then cannot determine what may have helped or hindered their performance.

R,
Bullseye

45dave

Thanks

Post by 45dave » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:57 pm

Bullseye...
Thanks, I never considered a log with the detail you mention, will start this week as I can see some benefits to look back on. Have to agree, concentration is a must, I saw a marked jump in my scores when I put on hearing protectors which helped shut out people talking and general chatter. After thinking about what you wrote, one thing that rings deep is after shooting a good target I think I tend to rush my next few first shots. Then after laughing at myself I bear down and get back in a focused groove.
Will put some of your suggestions into play and see what happens.
Yes, airgun shooting has made me a much better shooter with high power pistol, sure rewards good habits and punishes poor ones.

melchloboo
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by melchloboo » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:24 am

I have found it is also good to take a few days off from time to time. This gives the hands and eyes a little rest, and mentally its beneficial as well particularly if you feel like you're in a slump. Fighting through a slump in any sport is not always best, sometimes time off is better. Catch up on gunsmithing, cleaning, gearbox setup whatever, or forget about shooting altogether for a few days.

But I have also experienced your problem. You start a session with a run of X's, and then everything goes to pot. I have found it best to walk away or even change the target and forget about it, otherwise you have unrealistic expectations for the rest of the session, put pressure on yourself to score instead of practice fundamentals, and do everything you should not be doing. The mentality switches from using the time to get better, to using the time to "stay perfect", and of course the sense of perfection is false so you end up dooming yourself to frustration.

langenc

Post by langenc » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:57 pm

Sounds like my 22 BR shooting. I thought it was the ammo or the wind!!