Iron-sights aiming sequence

A section to discuss marksmanship issues: techniques, equipment, experiences, etc.

Also, a place to ask marksmanship related questions to seek information from the vast knowledge base of this forum's membership.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

melchloboo
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Iron-sights aiming sequence

Post by melchloboo » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:10 pm

I have started a new sequence which I think has helped my bullseye shooting, but am wondering if it is a good or bad habit?.....

Specifically, as I lower the pistol onto the target, I focus on the target, not the front sight (I used to focus on the front sight all the way down). When the sights seem aligned with the target, then I focus on the front sight as normal. I am a using a center-hold. I feel this gives me a better idea of where the target is before it blurs when I focus on the front sight.

Hardball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Hardball » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:09 am

You should be able to locate the target and approach it by muscle memory in a large way. I would get on the sight sooner and keep it aligned and stable in the hand. Then finish your sight picture and start the trigger. Keep the trigger moving.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:38 am

I meant to answer this one sooner but somehow I forgot.

Trying to move the focus of your eye down range and back is not a good practice. Typically what happens is a shooter has a hard time staying on the sights as the eye and mind want to jump the gun and peek down range. If this happens while shooting, the mind and arm will collaborate and sightly move the pistol downward. The resulting shots will appear below the aiming black by approx 3 to 4 inches. Many a time someone will ask me why are their shots all grouping low like that. I'll ask them if they are looking down range, and of course they typically admit to that habit.

Looking down range also causes a shooter to look for the shot hits. Humans are naturally curious creatures who require feedback all the time. So if one is looking down range they tend to also scan for shot holes. This practice ruins the positive concentration of the shot process. If your looking for those holes then your breaking concentration on the steps for a good shot. They are simple steps but require 100% of your concentration. Besides, if your shooting is on, you shouldn't be able to see any holes in the paper because they will all be in the aiming black.

As a person gets older their ability to focus near to far, and vice versa, declines as the eye's lenses get harder. It takes a lot more for older eyes to stay focused in one place let alone attempting to go back and forth. This is one reason why aged eyes find the red dot sight more helpful to their shooting.

As Hardball mentioned earlier, a shooter is not physically pulling the pistol down onto the target, he relaxes his shoulder and the entire arm drops back onto the target. This is caused by setting up a natural point of aim. You will hear this technique referred to as "NPA". A good position will sustain itself throughout the recoil and recovery process. The arm will naturally drop back into a position where the pistol is pointed on target. When this happens a shooter only has to make minor adjustments to the pistol for final sight alignment.

To set up your NPA, try closing your eyes and relaxing. Then with your eyes closed raise the pistol to a place where you feel you are aiming on the target. Open your eyes and confirm where the sights are aligned. If the pistol is not centered on the target, then shift your feet until the pistol is centered on target. (Very important, do not rotate your body to bring the pistol into alignment. This would be using your muscles and while shooting you will forget about your muscle position and drift back into that NPA position.) After shifting your feet, close your eyes and repeat the sequence until you can open them you are on target and centered.

As your practice technique develops these things will come naturally. Look around when you're shooting bullseye with a bunch of top shooters, you will see them all using this technique to find their natural point of aim. And you'll also notice, once they have it they don't move their feet.

Hope this helps,

R,
Bullseye

melchloboo
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by melchloboo » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:24 am

Yes, thanks. I was also finding it very fatiguing on the eyes and am going to abandon it anyway, as it wasn't really producing good results.