Bullseye shooting: What should I expect?

A section to discuss marksmanship issues: techniques, equipment, experiences, etc.

Also, a place to ask marksmanship related questions to seek information from the vast knowledge base of this forum's membership.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Adam67
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Bullseye shooting: What should I expect?

Post by Adam67 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:20 pm

I know there are a ton of variables but just trying to get a ballpark idea of what to expect. I'm a new shooter. Started in late March (shooting indoor) and have just started the outdoor league. The indoor was just some practice but now I'm being scored on the outdoor shooting. Averaged 260 my first week. I'm only shooting a .22 for now but hope to add a .45 by next summer. My goal is to hit 270 average by the end of summer league. Is that reasonable? I practice maybe once a week plus shooting league night (I'm busy with work) and maybe a little dry firing at home couple times a week.

Jumping in at 260 seemed decent but my practice time is very limited right now. What is the average time it takes to go from 260 to 270?....I know everyone is different.....but there must be an average.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:08 pm

You've basically answered your own question when you said everyone is different. It is possible but maybe not realistic. It is good to have a goal and that goal should be high but attainable. Once a week may not be enough training but if it is supplemented with a good dry firing practice then it could be attained. A lot depends on you and how serious you are about the fundamentals of marksmanship. If you have a dedicated coach the likeliness is higher than without one.

R,
Bullseye

Adam67
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Adam67 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:31 am

I'm really enjoying bullseye shooting but at the same time it is not my only hobby and I still have work and kids taking up much of my time. I do have a mentor/coach but again I don't have the time to dedicate that is probably required to go really far. My goal is still to reach expert....I think I can do that. I'd be happy just to keep them all in the black. Master level shooting is not even on my radar and neither is Camp Perry. It's fun and I think I want to just keep it that way....at least for now. I shot my coach's .45 the other day. I never fired a .45 one handed and I've never shot one at a target 50 yards away. First two went really high right then I focused in on that 3.5lb trigger and put my next three in the black :) That was fun....I definitely want to add the .45 come next year. The ammo for that alone is going to be a real shock to the system. I'm used to buying .22 ammo....lol. Yeah I know....you need to "re-load" when you get into .45 shooting......guess I better really start saving. $1000+ for the gun and probably $400+ for the reloader :shock:

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:44 am

Keep working with the .22 and your marksmanship skills will continue to improve. The basics are the same for both the rimfire and centerfire pistols, you just have to get past the mental hurdle of the big recoil with the centerfire. Once you do get past it, keeping your score averages close between the to calibers is not much of a problem.

Enjoy your new hobby, I find it quite relaxing and satisfying.

R,
Bullseye

Adam67
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Adam67 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:33 pm

Well I picked up a Springfield Loaded Target. I really like it. I'm shooting 200gr LSWC's right now with 4.2gr WST. Just re-loaded 500 rounds today. Picked up a Ultra Dot Match Dot......but I think I'm going to play with the iron sights for a bit.

melchloboo
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by melchloboo » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:06 pm

just curious what reloading press did you get?

Adam67
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Adam67 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:08 am

melchloboo wrote:just curious what reloading press did you get?
Not mine, my "mentor" has several.....I used his Dillon 550....nice machine.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:05 am

I have to concur with that, the Dillon RL 550 runs nice.

R,
Bullseye

Adam67
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Adam67 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:16 pm

Well I'm still having fun....but I'm still shooting 260 average for the National Match Course :(

Really I'm not sad. I've had no time to practice and even had about 2 1/2 months with no shooting at all (not by choice).

I did throw up a 93 slow fire with my 45 the other day......and that was with one landing in the 6 ring! 7 were 10's though which was nice and shows me that I'm capable.......just need to watch out for those "indicators" and put the gun down sometimes before letting a shot fly.

Lately I've had a strange thing happening. My first 5 shot string in both timed and rapid really sucks......but then my second five are all in the black. Must be a mental deal......kind of like having a case of the "shanks" in golf.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:56 am

You will likely progress in stages. This means you'll plateau at a level for a while and then make a new discovery and then increase a step. Typically this his how one progresses and it takes time. It sounds like you have a good foundation, keep focusing on the fundamentals and not the score. Chasing a good score will cause the type of first string jitters that you've described. Don't think about time, just work on the process of letting each shot break, recover and repeat. I like to tell my students, "Don't think, just do!" If you hear your voice in your mind while you are actively shooting then you are not concentrating 100% on the fundamentals. You don't have to think about performing the fundamentals that is why they have that name. The fundamentals happen instinctively in a well trained shooter.

R,
Bullseye

Adam67
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Adam67 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:24 pm

I shot in the Flushing NRA Sectional this past weekend. That was fun.

I have been shooting rather poorly this winter....low Marksman scores; 230's-250's for the NMC.....not good. Really struggling with trigger control, especially on Timed & Rapid.

So what better time to work on your techniques than during a Sectional Match...lol.

So there I am experimenting while I'm competing. Learned a few things though. I was definitely trying to "snatch" bullseyes early on.....as evident by three misses during the National Match Course Timed & Rapid!

After that debacle I tried a couple things on the next slow fire round. I actually lightened my grip a little, I also added a very slight cant to my hold. I kid you not the first 4 shots went into the 10 ring! Ended with a 94 slow which is fantastic for me. I also improved my Timed & Rapid doing the same thing. My last to rapid strings were 93 & 91......again, good for me, especially indoors.

At the end of the day I threw up a Sharpshooter score (770).....not horrible considering I had three complete misses, and better than I've been shooting lately indoors.

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

fundamentals

Post by stork » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:18 pm

"I focused in on that 3.5lb trigger and put my next three in the black"

BINGO!!!
#1. correct stance (especially important for Timed & Rapid fire) to establish your Natural Area of Aim.

#2. Focus on the front sight.

#3. Apply pressure on the trigger until the shot breaks while applying #2.

#4. See #2.

#5. Enjoy, remember you're only competing against yourself.

FWIW
Stork
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

Adam67
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Adam67 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:37 pm

melchloboo wrote:just curious what reloading press did you get?
I just picked up my own progressive press.

I was going to get a Dillon 550b or possibly the Square Deal (I'm only doing pistol right now).

But after doing a ton of homework I decided upon (to the dismay of my mentor) a Hornady Lock-N-Load AP.

He has been really pushing me to get a Dillon.....and I'm sure I would have been very happy with one. But it just looks like you get more for your money with the LnL right now. It's a 5 station, auto indexing press that costs less then the 550. Full Lifetime Warranty.

You also get a 1000 free Hornady bullets with purchase. On the downside I'm not using it yet because no one has the number 45 shell plate in stock. Might be several weeks before I get one.

laportechaarlie

Post by laportechaarlie » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:27 pm

I am a dyed in the wool Dillon fan. I've had a 550B or two for the last 23 years and have close to 150,000 rounds loaded on them. Everything from 380 Auto to 7mm Rem Mag.
I recently read a very comprehensive test comparing the Dillon 550B, the Lee Pro 1000 and the Hornady L & L. The Hornady came in first, the Dillon a close second and the Lee a distant turd, I mean third. I never thought I would say this but if I were looking for a new progressive I would give the Hornady a real hard look. Plus 1,000 free bullets never hurts. The powder measure on the Hornady was the factor that was most important to the testor.
Charlie

Adam67
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Adam67 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:13 pm

Well my shell plate finally arrived so I got it up and running last night.

This is my first press so I took it slow. I've used a Dillon 550b but I have never set up dies before so I was starting from scratch.

All in all things went really well. Had some confusion on how to set up the seater die so I became familiar with my new kinetic bullet puller :lol: Luckily I was smart enough to be adjusting that die without any powder in the cartridge.

I'm using a light target load (3.9gr of WST) for indoor 50ft and outdoor 25 yard shooting. Got the powder dump (with the pistol rotor installed) to throw a consistent charge with no issues.

I think it's going to be a great press. Runs smooth. I like the auto indexing (I think there is less of a chance of double loading with the auto index). I also like that it 1/2 index's on the pull down and 1/2 on the upswing. Makes for a smooth rotation. This also allows it to seat the primer at the 1 1/2 stage during the upswing. No issues with seating primers.

I only cranked out 25 rounds. I was measuring everything (probably twice). Finished rounds were running right around 1.250" OAL and .469-.470 crimp. They dropped into my .45 gauge (An old 1911 barrel actually) with a nice "thuuup". Should be good to go.......unfortunately I can't test them yet.....my Ultra Dot Match Dot had to go the Larry's guns for repair and the gun has no factory iron sights anymore. :cry: