June scores here

The place to post targets and info for the GTOL .22 Postal League.

Moderators: Bullseye, perazzi, Moderators

Pete D.
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

June scores here

Post by Pete D. » Tue May 31, 2011 6:42 am

I know that June begins tomorrow....but I'll be away from shooting for some weeks.
Had a fall. Broke my right wrist. Gonna set to work shooting lefty.
Pete
"Only hunting and mountain climbing are sports. The rest are just games." - R.Ruark

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue May 31, 2011 7:01 pm

Darn, I hope you heal soon. That must be a huge disappointment for you. I know you were working up for some serious competition work. I had a friend who had to completely switch over to left handed pistol shooting after suffering an injury similar to yours.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue May 31, 2011 7:10 pm

Pete, I know what that's like. I broke my left hand and wrist about 3 years ago. Even as a support hand it threw me off on a lot of things.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Pete D.
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

just call me Lefty

Post by Pete D. » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:26 pm

Well....I figured that I might as well start, I've got six weeks to get better. Shooting lefthanded....it is almost like learning to shoot all over again. It ain't pretty.

SF - 79
TF - 83 1x
RF - 90 2x
NMC - 252 3x

My old Ruger mk.ii, konus red dot, Federal Auto Match.22s
Pete
"Only hunting and mountain climbing are sports. The rest are just games." - R.Ruark

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

lefty

Post by stork » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Hey Pete.
Good luck on your recovery!
Your scores are pretty good for a new left hander. I tried LH twice in January after rotater cuff surgery and quickly remembered why I don't shoot left handed. I would have loved to shoot a Marksman level score.

But on the positive side, the shoulder has come a long way. I still wouldn't hold up for a 2700, but it isn't horrible for a couple of National Match courses. Now if the flooding would just stop here in central North Dakota I could stop sandbagging and helping people move out of their homes and actually get some practice time in. This will definitely NOT be the year to try to move up to Master.

Oh well, at least I'm high & dry and don't live within 8 miles of the river.

FWIW
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

Pete D.
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Thanks

Post by Pete D. » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:34 pm

Stork: Thanks. Hard to believe the kind of weather year that it has been for the middle of the country. Hope it clears to blue skies and dry land soon.
Pete

Weather - bad all over. We even had a tornado in Brooklyn, NY. Go figure.
P

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:20 pm

Ruger MKIII,Ultradot,idoor 50'

SF 90

TF 94-5x

RF 95-2x

NMC 279-7x

Pete, sorry to hear about your hand, hope everything goes well. There are a couple guys in the league I shoot in that have had similar issues. One of them still shoots left handed after many years, it turned out he ended up shooting just as good and never switched back. I have tried shooting with my opposite hand and it is tough, I think your score is pretty darn good for shooting opposite hand. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Python
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Python » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:50 pm

Outdoor registered match today.

SF=95-1
TF=96-3
RF=96-5

NMC=287-9x

.22 aggregate=865-26x

Clarence
Master indoor and out
Distinguished Revolver Badge #99
EIC Service Pistol = 30 pts.(need a hard leg)
10z n Xs

Pete D.
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Better

Post by Pete D. » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:13 pm

Still working on left handed shooting. I have at least another month. 
Shot a match outdoors the other day; it was bad. Tried using the High Standard.... Tried left, tried right (couldn't grip). Not fun.
Went to my old Ruger - the only gun that I have a set of lefty grips for. It was better tonight indoors. 
SF - 84
TF - 93 2x
RF - 86 2x
NMC - 263 4x

Put a Volquartsen upper on the Ruger and shot a second lefty match. 
SF - 89
TF - 91
RF - 91 1x
NMC - 271 1x

Ammo was bulk Federal. JPoint on the Ruger upper. Simmons on the other.
So....there was some improvement.

Pete

Pete D.
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Will I get to Carnegie Hall?

Post by Pete D. » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:08 pm

Practice. Practice. Practice. And, I suppose, patience.
Not so good today. Control over the left side shows some promise but there are these unaccountable jerks that I have to conquer.
SF - 79
TF - 85 2X
RF - 96 4X
NMC - 260 6X

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:59 am

I shot my first match, since my shoulder surgery last November, on Sunday. A 2700, so it was a long one. I did better than I thought I would. 2393 44x. If I would have taken the time to sight in my wad gun after shooting 50 ft last November I wouldn't have taken the first 13 rounds to sight in during my CF slow fire stage, wound up with a 65 and a 85 for slow fire scores.

22 SF-89 x1..............170x3
22 TF-91 x3..............190x5
22 RF-99 x4..............188x4
TOTAL 279x8
These were the first scores of each match.

After finally getting my 50 yard settings I wound up with a 276x3 on the CF NMC, so I felt really good about that. But by the time the 45 stage came around my shoulder was bothering me. Should have stopped, but was having fun shooting so I didn't. I knew I wasn't going for the gold this time, just to test the shoulder.

Good shooting to all of you.

PS: I should have gone into a bit more detail on why it took so many rounds to sight in the 45. For winter indoor 50' shooting I use an older Kart barrel that has seen 45,000+ rounds and no longer shoots well at 50 yards. I had a new Kart fitted in 2007 or 2009(can't remember which but it was just before Camp Perry one of those years) and I use that one for outdoor matches and use the old one for indoor as it's still capable of shooting 100's even if it's owner isn't.

I switched over to the new barrel, which shoots to a completely different point of impact. And Ultra Dots, as much as I love them for their durability, just suck when it comes to tracking. With a good tracking scope I could have just clicked up and over the required # of clicks and the problem would have been solved. The amount I was out should have required 28 clicks of elevation and 14 clicks of windage. Knowing their tendency to go wild I only adjusted the elevation 1/2 the amount and still wound up way on the opposite side. Then you have to shoot to settle in the scope (even tho I over-correct and then load the adjustment knob into the threads and then tap the Weaver rings to settle the thread engagements down). It just turned out to be a comedy of errors. But, I had fun.
Last edited by stork on Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

Pete D.
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

another try

Post by Pete D. » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:15 pm

I am sure hoping that some of this left-handed practice transfers to my right hand when I am able to return to normal in a couple of weeks and can shoot righty again
I just do not have the same fine control over my left hand.....though there are some moments of real stability, there are just too many large motor excursions, especially damaging in SF.
I've settled at about 260+/- so it seems.
SF - 76
TF - 93 1X
RF - 90 4x

NMC - 259 5X
Pete

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:03 pm

If anything it will make you more aware of good trigger application. It doesn't matter how long you take to align up those sights if you end up smashing the trigger it all goes away in an instant. With your left hand you should be seeing how critical that trigger pressure is because you have to concentrate much harder with the foreign (weak) hand than you would with your natural stance.

R,
Bullseye

Pete D.
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

yep

Post by Pete D. » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:32 pm

With your left hand you should be seeing how critical that trigger pressure is because you have to concentrate much harder with the foreign (weak) hand than you would with your natural stance.
That is exactly what is happening. I am trying to think always "trigger control" as the arc of movement of the dot traces through the bull. The coordination between the hand and the eye on my weak side is, well....weak. I'll be just about to break the shot and the whole arm will drop a ring or two. This is not a complaint as I know that I'll get better if I keep it up and that the mental part should transfer to my strong side but I sure would like to shoot better scores.
Wouldn't everyone?
Pete