Winchester Primers and the Lee Pro 1000

The place to discuss reloading techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Winchester Primers and the Lee Pro 1000

Post by greener » Wed May 06, 2009 6:31 pm

The last time I reloaded .45 ACP I started having problems with primer feed (tipping) in my Lee Pro 1000. I ordered new plastic indexing gears. Today I thoroughly cleaned the carrier and replaced the gears. I still had the problem. After a couple hours of futzing around with the carrier and shell plate, I put the .45 ACP shell plate on my .45 colt carrier and had no problems feeding the left over CCI primers. When I put the Winchester primers I was using in the feed tray, I started having problems. Replaced them with a WLP's from a new box and the problems went away. I switched over to the old carrier and .45 Colt shell plate and was able to load 150 rounds before I started having tipping problems again.

Looks like there is something about some Winchester primers my Lee Pro doesn't like.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu May 07, 2009 6:18 am

I've been using CCI and Federals in mine. I can't recall using Winchesters at any time. The only times I had tipping problems were if some powder flakes got onto the primer plunger or if the cases were not decrimped around the primer hole. I use a Dillon Super Swage 600 for decrimping military brass.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Thu May 07, 2009 6:57 am

When it gets dirty it doesn't work well. One of the things I've learned with this press is that if I ever have a problem with primer feed, I need to stop and reindex the shell plate.

I completely disassembled the carrier twice and cleaned it. The second time was just in case I missed something. The primers were not completely sliding on to the plunger. I could watch that happen working the press without a casing in the shell plate and tripping the switch with my hand. It acted as though it wasn't properly indexed but I did the 3/4 turn bit and even went from just over 1/2 turn to just under 1 turn on the indexing screw after the shell plate clicked into place. The primer plunger looks like it is at the right depth for the primer to slide onto it. I checked the turret and it is level. (Maybe I need to tilt it slightly).

The primers I had problems with were the last ones I used from a box of 1000. When I opened a new box, the problem mostly went away.

I've stayed with either CCI or Winchester primers because they are mostly what I see around here and Lee's warning about using other brands.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu May 07, 2009 7:05 am

I've never had to reindex one of my Lee shell plates. I do watch the primer feed tray and restock it when it gets down to about a quarter of the primers left. When the primers get to the level that they are just in the feed chute they don't have enough weight behind them to slide onto the plunger properly. I place a long set of needle pointed hemostats in front of the primer feed hole to block the partially filled assembly and not lose any primers during the removal process. I do the same for placing on a new full primer tray.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Thu May 07, 2009 6:05 pm

I may have to go back to Lee Pro school. I index each time I change carriers and have had to index during reloading if I've had a misfeed. I usually let the primers get below the top of the tube since the primers will hang up in the top. I"m not as high tech as you, I use a nail or small screw driver to hold them in the tray.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu May 07, 2009 6:29 pm

Well that could be it. I never change shell plates. I just bought another machine for the different calibers. Way easier to change the whole assembly than mess with the timing of the shell plate. Of course when I bought them they were only selling for $115 each complete.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Thu May 07, 2009 7:12 pm

Probably better to do it that way. When I bought mine the complete set for one caliber was $135. There was some savings in just buying the carrier with shell plate, dies and turret ring for additional calibers, but not that much.

greener

Post by greener » Tue May 12, 2009 11:24 pm

Oil in the feed tube?

I disassembled the carrier and cleaned it one more time. This time I used rubbing alcohol. I also used a paper towel wetted with rubbing alcohol to clean the feed tube. I used a small screwdriver to push the paper towel in the feed tray and scrubbed it pretty hard. I fed about 170 primers without problems tonight. The best I can guess is I had some dirt or oil in the feed tube I hadn't gotten before. I had cleaned the carrier with solvent a couple times and had wiped the feed tube down with a dry, clean cleaning patch several times before I tried this.