Hand Primer

The place to discuss reloading techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Hand Primer

Post by Hakaman » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:48 pm

I just got into reloading and put together my first 50 rd box of ammo, 38sp. The problem is this: While using the hand primer (RCBS) I noticed the primers were not seating all the way down into the pocket of the brass. So I called a friend whose reloads with the same hand priming tool(RCBS), and he said he noticed the same problem when he started doing pistol rounds. He said it was ok with rifle shells, but when he started priming pistol, his primers would not seat far enough either. I then talked with a reloading instructor and he said the same thing, the hand primer (I think he uses RCBS) didn't do the job for him either. We both had to seat the primer adequately with the press. This is 3 for 3 hand primers that don't work well. I called RCBS and they said they would send out a new primer to me. I accepted, but don't have much confidence in it working well enough. If the new one doesn't work, I'm going to ask for my money back, but this is going to be tough since the primer came as part of a Reloading Kit. I can raise the dickens with RCBS though. Has anybody else had similar problems with HandPimers ?
thanks, hakaman

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:23 pm

HAK, I've used the Lee hand primer for years and it has never failed. You can feel the primer seating. It will be one of you best acquisitions. Also check out the LEE taper crimp as it is the easiest best to use to get the proper crimp. Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:06 pm

I'm with Kaz. I've reloaded literally THOUSANDS of rounds of pistol ammo with a Lee Autoprime. Never had a problem with seating depth.
An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:22 pm

Add another one for the Lee, use it for .38spcl and .45ACP and have no problems.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.