45 Cal Wadcutter Ammo

The place to discuss reloading techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:43 pm

That NSK website looks pretty good. Right now they have .45 cast bullets on special: 2000 rounds of 200 gr SWC for $98, which includes the shipping costs. That works out to $24.50/500. Take the shipping charges out of that and you're looking at ~$16-$17 per box of 500.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:03 pm

Bullseye wrote:That NSK website looks pretty good. Right now they have .45 cast bullets on special: 2000 rounds of 200 gr SWC for $98, which includes the shipping costs. That works out to $24.50/500. Take the shipping charges out of that and you're looking at ~$16-$17 per box of 500.

R,
Bullseye
Just ordered from Norhtestern Bullets, 200 grain hard cast LSWC moly lubed $46.00 includes shipping.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:08 am

How many bullets do you get for that price?

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:22 am

Bullseye wrote:How many bullets do you get for that price?

R,
Bullseye
old Polaks not only have poor memorys but they are short too, forgot the quantity.

1,000 and that includes the shipping by United States Postal Service
Have had no problems with the last order from them, they all seem to get to the target as long as the old man does his job. and points the gun in the proper place.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:12 am

For that amount that is a good price! Even better if that's the regular price for those cast bullets. The one I quoted from NSK was a special. Here's a link to Northeastern for anyone else who might be interested: http://northeastbullet.com/

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:34 am

Bullseye wrote:For that amount that is a good price! Even better if that's the regular price for those cast bullets. The one I quoted from NSK was a special. Here's a link to Northeastern for anyone else who might be interested: http://northeastbullet.com/

R,
Bullseye
That is the regular price, they have recently had a price increas, my lasdt order was 43.00/1000

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:19 am

I suspect they just adjusted their prices to reflect the rising costs of shipping due to the petroleum market increases. A modest increase in my opinion.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:24 am

Bullseye wrote:I suspect they just adjusted their prices to reflect the rising costs of shipping due to the petroleum market increases. A modest increase in my opinion.

R,
Bullseye
May be fel cost but they ship the 7.70 box thing with the post office if my nmemory serves me correctly. Have you seen the prices on lead lateelt, the price of lead shot has gone up radically in the past l months and the price of shotgun shells also. Wally World stil has the Federal 550 value paks for 8.96, nect time I go by ther willll have to buy what they have in stock. Last visi I got 9 of them. Love to shoot the action games and do really butn through the .22LR's to amuse myself.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:41 am

I need to order some soon, I'm running low on wadcutters. I like the .22's for practice, cheap and easy to shoot. When I want to practice the 45 I just slap the Marvel on the frame and get in some range time.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:46 am

Bullseye wrote:I need to order some soon, I'm running low on wadcutters. I like the .22's for practice, cheap and easy to shoot. When I want to practice the 45 I just slap the Marvel on the frame and get in some range time.

R,
Bullseye
My Ruger 22/45's point just like a 1911, maybe just a little more Muzzle heaavy, but when shootin the action games at 5 to 10 yars it sure is fun to see those .45 caliber neat round holes appear in the paper. Remember I don;t shoot by aiming so I really get to see the holes because I am looking at the target, but I do see the sight, just not foucusing on them. With me it is just like shooting a shotgun except I never do see the shotgune barrel. I know where it is but can not conciously see it buyt the taget breaks so I am shooting where I am looking. That way I do not have to look where I am shooting.

allendavis
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by allendavis » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:01 pm

I'd keep it as a souvenir. First assume that all military surplus ammo made prior to the 1950's is corrosive. They used salt in the priming compound, that caused moisture to build up in the barrel and accelerate corrosion. This is no problem if you properly clean (immediately after shooting) to neutralize the sodium residue.
This is not entirely correct. It wasn't a sodium-based salt at all -- it was a form of fulminated mercury that behaves as a form of salt. After firing such corrosive-primed ammo, if you flush your barrel with a very hot solution of pure ammonia and water (at a 50:50 ratio), you will collect a bluish, almost purple liquid in your catch container. Examine it closely and you will find mercury in the flushed liquid. This waste should never be flushed down a drain into your local sewer system if you're concerned with contaminating your local ground water sources.

I have many thousands of rounds of 8x57mm Mauser ammo made in Turkey in 1948 and 1949, as well as a few thousand 7.62 Mosin-Nagant ammo that I picked up for under .02/round that I couldn't pass up. This stuff is wonderfully accurate.

My big objection is that it makes gun cleaning a real pain-in-the-ass because I definitely have to remove the actions and pour the hot water/ammonia solution down the barrel several times and brushing it like crazy. Of course, this also involves plugging the muzzle so the ammonia solution can soak the inside of the barrel. After this arduous routine, the barrels still need to be cleaned in a conventional manner (i.e., Hoppes, Gun Scrubber, whatever).

In the summer, it's not that bad. I can do it in a 5-gallon bucket outdoors. In the winter, I have to perform this task with a 5-gallon bucket inside a bathtub, and my wife gripes to no end about the smell, and I don't blame her!

Back around 20 years ago, I got my hands on about 10,000 rounds of mil surplus .45 ACP ammo that was manufactured at Radford Arsenal (I assume, since the brass was all marked "RA" and either "48" or "49." I, too was overly concerned about corrosive primers. So I pulled all the bullets, recycled the powder, killed the primers and reloaded the ammo with the powder in the exact weight but with new primers.

I actually didn't like the ammo because the brass was extremely inconsistent. No where as good as we get today.

Just my two cents' worth.

Allen

allendavis
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by allendavis » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:21 pm

One of my favorite supply stores for reloading components also markets and sells "remanufactured" ammunition, which is actually quite good.

They sell TONS of ammo to different SASS outfits throughout the country at very attractive prices. I know this because I'm one of the very few people they let "behind the counter" and into their workshops. And they sell some very obscure cartridges, too.

I handload ALL of my own ammo (except the 7.62x39 mm for my AKs), and I buy all of my lead bullets from them exclusively. Their lead bullets are made from an alloy that very, very closely approximates No. 2 alloy as defined in Lyman's reloading manuals. I've been shooting their 125 gr. LRN 9mm bullet out of my Hi-Power for over two years now, and at a velocity of over 1,175 fps with almost no leading whatsoever.

They sell a 215-gr. LSWC for the .45 ACP that I buy to load for a friend's 1911. My gun (a Chip McCormick Special) just doesn't seem to care for this bullet with my current barrel.

They sell this bullet in a loaded round, and I've chronographed it for them recently. Out of two separate 1911s, this load averages about 880 fps. It carries a charge of AA #5 (not sure of the charge, but I can find out).

Not sure of the prices, either, but I do know they offer HUGE discounts on quantity purchases.

You can contact:

Scroggins Gunsmithing
1-765-342-4941

Tell them you heard about me from Allen Davis, they know me.

They're open 10-7 Mon-Fri and 10-6 on Sat. (Eastern time)

Mike Scroggins, the founder, is laid up with a stroke, so ask to talk to Mike's son if you can, otherwise you deal with Wiley, and his head hasn't been quite right since he came back from his heart attack.

Hope this helps.

Allen