45 Cal Wadcutter Ammo

The place to discuss reloading techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

kpuscg04

45 Cal Wadcutter Ammo

Post by kpuscg04 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:39 pm

I'm having problems finding .45 Cal wadcutter ammo. Does anyone have any good sources.
ACTA NON VERBA

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Re: 45 Cal Wadcutter Ammo

Post by toyfj40 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:16 pm

kpuscg04 wrote:.45 wad-cutter ammo. Does anyone have any good sources.
I thought that was in the realm of HandLoading...
check the GunShows...
MidwayUSA and other large-ammo dealers might know
about the availability (affordability)... good luck.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:04 pm

kpuscg04 wrote:I'm having problems finding .45 Cal wadcutter ammo. Does anyone have any good sources.
If I remember correctly at one time Lancer marketed some .45ACP in a 200grain? LSWC through Midway USA. Full wadcutters are intended for revolvers as the do not have to load from a magazine.
I load my own 200 grain LSWC from Northeastern bullets with 5.0 grains of Alliant Green Dot and they work just great, sent a hundred os so downrange earlier this afternoon in the comfort of the indoor range I belong to.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jaeger45 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:03 pm

kpuscg04 wrote:
I'm having problems finding .45 Cal wadcutter ammo. Does anyone have any good sources.

My buddy just recently ordered a batch of .45 LSWC 200 gr for his 1911 GI fm Dillon- 500/$35.00; 1,000/$65. What they sent him was made by Red Line of San Diego, CA. Red Line is good stuff- I used to buy fm them at gunshows until they stopped putting up a stall.

Anyway, you can inquire fm them about wad cutters.
DILLON PRECISION PRODUCTS
P.O. BOX 29316
PHOENIX, AZ 85038
Tel. (800) 223-4570

RED LINE
Orders: (619) 280-9763
Info: (619) 425-5648
A bad shot is often caused by a loose nut behind the buttplate

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jaeger45 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:08 pm

If I remember correctly at one time Lancer marketed some .45ACP in a 200grain? LSWC through Midway USA. Full wadcutters are intended for revolvers as the do not have to load from a magazine.
I load my own 200 grain LSWC from Northeastern bullets with 5.0 grains of Alliant Green Dot and they work just great, sent a hundred os so downrange earlier this afternoon in the comfort of the indoor range I belong to.

Hi, Len-
That's my fav also because of the neat holes they make: 200 gr .45 LSWC's in front of 4.6 gr of W231 in my Kimber Custombuilt. I initially used Bullseye when I cut my teeth in reloading, but found it too smoky and leaves the brass too smudgy. Have stuck to W231 for 5 yrs now.
Yup- I myself also was down at the range today with my Kimber- great gun! Nothing like a good whiff of gunsmoke to make your day, isn't it?
By the way, things are picking up for Dove Day at Yuma, Az, on Sept 1st. Hope to be able to tell y'all about it.
A bad shot is often caused by a loose nut behind the buttplate

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:00 am

Hey Hunter, just using the English version of your screen name hope you have a good dove day. My oldest son just left yesterday for 2 weeks in Munich on business and nex summer he will be moving ther to head his companies aero and auto sales in Europe.
I though that was Lance that I used, couple of years ago I bought a lot o different ammo from Midway to see what I liked the best. Yes for target shooting those nice neat round holes sure look good. The reason I use Green Dot is it is readly availabe to me as I use it to load 12, 20 and 28 gage shotshells.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:25 pm

kpuscg04 wrote:I'm having problems finding .45 Cal wadcutter ammo. Does anyone have any good sources.
It's pricey. Natchez Shooters Supply has Federal GM45B in stock (on special) for $28.61/box. Their stock number is FAGM45B. http://www.natchezss.com/ammo.cfm?conte ... ID=FAGM45B

Champions Choice has Federal GM45B in stock for $29/box. Their stock number is FGM45B. http://www.champchoice.com/shop.php?act ... mit=Search

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:08 pm

Bullseye wrote:
It's pricey. Natchez Shooters Supply has Federal GM45B in stock (on special) for $28.61/box. Their stock number is FAGM45B. http://www.natchezss.com/ammo.cfm?conte ... ID=FAGM45B

Champions Choice has Federal GM45B in stock for $29/box. Their stock number is FGM45B. http://www.champchoice.com/shop.php?act ... mit=Search

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye
Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuchhhhhhhhh, that is some pretty pricey ammo, that remanufactured ammo by Lancer from Midway USA was a lot less that that, about 10 bucks a box if I remember correctly. My 200 grain LSWC reload cost me right around 4 bucks a ox.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:51 pm

I agree it's more cost effective to reload the wads. Some folks want the factory stuff, I stopped buying it a while ago and if Uncle Sweetheart doesn't give it to me, I shoot the reloads.

Since the adoption of the 9mm as the standard service pistol, the Army stopped buying 45 ACP in large quantities. When that happened, the ammo prices shot up. It got more expensive to produce since demand went down drastically. Used to get a lot of TZZ Israeli ammo that the Army bought on a Interservice material procurement/exchange deal. The TZZ Wads and Ball are some pretty hot rounds, they have a real sharp recoil to them. The assembly specs are a little different since they make a lot of SMG ammo, so they punch up the powder loads. The Army still gets some 45 ammo from them today, but mostly for Spec Ops.

The Army is in charge of procuring the general purpose ammo stocks for all the services. If a service wants special purpose ammo they have to let their own contracts to procure it. When doing it this way, the purchase is smaller and therefore more expensive per round.

R,
Bullseye

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:40 am

Bullseye wrote:it's more cost effective to reload the wads.
thus my original reply...

I have some 6-8 boxes(50) of WWII era 'Ball .45' Olin/Federal ammo
that was given to me by a friend of my dads... (1990-ish)...
when he learned that I had a Colt-Commander...
I've never fired any of it and suspect I'll just keep it for my "museum".
(along-side my Swiss-Army-Knives and SlideRules... )

Q: is there some "wipe with GunOiled rag" or "spray with Pledge(tm)"
treatment that would be helpful to avoid any tarnish of the ammo ?
brass, copper-jacket... I've noticed none (yet) after this first-60 years...

Q: What is the significance, origin, purpose, meaning of the term "Ball",
as used in Military Ammo?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:19 pm

I'd keep it as a souvenir. First assume that all military surplus ammo made prior to the 1950's is corrosive. They used salt in the priming compound, that caused moisture to build up in the barrel and accelerate corrosion. This is no problem if you properly clean (immediately after shooting) to neutralize the sodium residue.

The best way to preserve the finish of ammo is to keep it free of all contaminants and in a climate controlled dry enviorment. Humidity and high temperatures are bad for ammunition in storage. There is no magic preservative to keep it bright. If you add any contaminants to the surface of the ammo then you potentially destroy the collector value and could even accelerate the corrosion process from a chemical reaction with the preservative itself.

Military ball is basically any full metal jacketed ammo with a solid lead core. The nickname is said to derive from the old days when the military bullets where actually lead balls rammed down the barrels of muskets and rifles.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

Ruffchaser

Post by Ruffchaser » Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:20 am

A little while ago Cabela's had 300rnds of 200grn or185 grn swc in a dry box for what equalled out to be 9 something a box for reloads which is prety good unless your reloading .

Ruffchaser

Post by Ruffchaser » Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:31 am

Sorry , either I need to go back to school for math or there was a good deal going on before because now theyre about 13 dollars per 50 rnds. They also have fmj and lead round nose reloads also .

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:52 am

Ruffchaser wrote:Sorry , either I need to go back to school for math or there was a good deal going on before because now theyre about 13 dollars per 50 rnds. They also have fmj and lead round nose reloads also .
You can buy WWB at Wally World FMJ's for 19398/100, my reloads on 200 grain LSWC run abouit 4.00 a box
Looimg forward to chainmg them grouse? think the season starts Sept 15th here in Michigan.

Zed

Post by Zed » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:12 pm

Try NSK Sales here: http://www.nsksales.com/
Neil has an excellent reputation amongst bullseye shooters. I haven't used his service as I reload, but I know of a couple shooters that use NSK and speak highly of it.

Steve ..