Snappy .45ACP loads (Are they safe?)

The place to discuss reloading techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Snappy .45ACP loads (Are they safe?)

Post by Georgezilla » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:13 am

Is it possible to safely get .40S&W ballistics out of a .45ACP case?

For example, would a .45ACP load that fires a 180gr bullet 950FPS be safe? Or was the .45acp case just not designed for that sort of pressure?

Thanks.

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Re: Snappy .45ACP loads (Are they safe?)

Post by Medicine Hat » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:16 am

Georgezilla wrote:Is it possible to safely get .40S&W ballistics out of a .45ACP case?

For example, would a .45ACP load that fires a 180gr bullet 950FPS be safe? Or was the .45acp case just not designed for that sort of pressure?

Thanks.
Thank you for requesting the RB forum. And thank you Bullseye for providing it.
Hornady 7th edition reloading handbook lists 10 (ten) different powders that will give 950 fps without going to max loads, using both the XTP and thier FMJ SWC ENC bullets in 185 gr. wt.
Ironically, one of the powders is 'Bullseye' :P .
Hope that helps

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:20 am

MH, handloads dot com has a lot of loads listed with a 185 grain bullet exceeding 950 fps.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:05 am

If you work up your loads you can but you will shorten the brass life. Remember to look for over pressure signs as you move up. You may want to install a heavier recoil spring to protect the gun.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:47 pm

Thanks for the replies. MH, do you like the Hornady reloading handbook? I considered getting it, but I read a few reviews that noted it was more of a plug for Hornady than a reloading book.

BOM, thanks for reminding me about that website! I just looked and it appears that there are a lot of higher pressure loads which come straight from Alliant.

David, aside from case cracking, can you give me some examples of over pressuring signs?

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:59 pm

most of the powders I looked at in Hodgdon's and Aliant's guides seemed like 950 is toatally doable with 180's either lead or jacketed boolits.... you are not into +p range there.

P.s. I like the layout of the Hornady guide (at least the 7th edition) but I have not seen the latest one yet. it gives its loads in a graphical context and approximate with the velocities with powder charges not jut min and max. and yes they are pushing their bullets, thats the business they are in as is speer, barnes, and sierra with their guides.

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:08 pm

That is a good point, most load manuals are trying to sell a specific product. I suppose as long as the company only makes bullets it is not much of an issue.

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:30 pm

Georgezilla wrote:Thanks for the replies. MH, do you like the Hornady reloading handbook? I considered getting it, but I read a few reviews that noted it was more of a plug for Hornady than a reloading book.
I use the Hornady manual a lot. However, I have Nosler, Speer, Hodgdon, IMR, Alliant, Winchester, Lyman, and lots of others.
Most I have several editions of. (I never throw away old ones-they are too useful, but I do get the new ones as available when they come out too.)
At some time or another, I use them all.
I load black powder cartridge (and ML), pistol, rifle and shotgun. I can't remember all the specs all the time, so manuals are a very important part of reloading.
And, yes each different company tends to 'toot their own horn' but that doesn't make them wrong either.
I'm currently working on a Trapdoor Springfield in 50-70 that needs lots of TLC. It belongs to the American Legion post here, but has just sat in the safe for way too many ears, neglected. Since it is a black powder cartridge, it is pretty straight forward, but none of the current books have data on it, hence keep old books. This gun was built in 1863 at Springfield Armory as a muzzle loader, then re-built there in 1869 to the trapdoor configuration. It may have seen action in the civil war, no way to tell for sure.
I also use reloading manuals written by individuals as well as the different companies. I do have an extensive firearms library accumulated over the last 50 years but there is always more to learn.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:39 pm

mh i've got a copy of Ken waters "pet Loads" I think that had 50-70oads in it..... I'll check and get back wth you...

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:22 am

Wow MH, you are really into reloading! I only have one reloading book written by an individual. I have since found much of the information in that book to be incorrect...

Thanks for mentioning those titles, I will look into picking a few up.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:12 am

Georgezilla, you might want to look for the hodgdon annual.... magazine format they put out every year. pretty good for imr, winchester, and hodgdon powders and less than $10

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:38 pm

Medicine Hat wrote:I'm currently working on a Trapdoor Springfield in 50-70 that needs lots of TLC. It belongs to the American Legion post here, but has just sat in the safe for way too many ears, neglected. Since it is a black powder cartridge, it is pretty straight forward, but none of the current books have data on it, hence keep old books. This gun was built in 1863 at Springfield Armory as a muzzle loader, then re-built there in 1869 to the trapdoor configuration. It may have seen action in the civil war, no way to tell for sure.
Looks like Water worked up loads in September 1979's Handloader... for blakpower he had good luck with a 370gr cast bullet on top of 60gr of FFg or he had good luck with duplex loads with a 490gr cast lyman #515142... but duplex loads seem like voodoo to me.

standard 50-70 loading he said was 70gr of Fg with a 450gr lead bullet giving 1240fps. thats about 500S&W territory from the 1860's! :shock:

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:06 pm

Thanks for the info. No way I'm doing a dupex load! After 144 years, no telling what defects are in that old metal. When I'm done cleaning it up, I'll stick to BP, and start with some mild loads. Mostly this project is a "labor of love". Hate to see the old girl just rust away into oblivion.
Yes the original load design was 70 gr of Fg with the 450 lead bullet. Sometimes round ball depending on supplies.
Right now, 0000 steel wool, and light oil (and elbow grease) is the cause of the day. When that's done, and the wood cleaned up, and all re-assembled, I'll take her out to the range. This is not a restoration as such, more just preservation. She earned all those old scars, etc.

Hey Georgezilla, re: the Hodgdon 'annual manual' in magazine form, many of the LGS guys here will give you last years manual FREE when the new one comes out. It's still valid, just a year old. By the way, Hodgdon, IMR, and Winchester powders all come from that plant.
I grew up 35 miles from there (KS) but didn't know it intil I no longer in KS, so never got to go see their place.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:52 pm

Over pressure signs on a auto is a lot different than a revolver. Primmer is one, look for cracks, depending on mfg primer burn/blow through (CCI and Wolf are heavier). Sometime you will have FP marks too beside the main fire. Then look toward the top of the mouth for scratching marks. If one is over pressure a lot of time it scraps the cylinder on the way out. Also look for extraction marks on the base, it can drive down on the base.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911