My Lee Classic 4 hole Turret Press stopped indexing.......

The place to discuss reloading techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

My Lee Classic 4 hole Turret Press stopped indexing.......

Post by Jack D » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:25 pm

.....well, not completely. It indexes a few strokes then stops for a few, then starts again. I've only loaded about 500 rounds since new. Surely it can't be worn out yet. It stopped suddenly. No warning, after 3 1/2 boxes. I oiled it, including the plastic ratchet thingy on the ram. Still no worky. What is wrong?
Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:21 pm

I would start here...
http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/faq/index.cgi
Lee has a 2 yr warranty. A call or e-mail to their customer service, or tech help would be the first thing, in my humble opinion.
It sounds like something is either binding, or slipped out of place??
Many plastics don't like oil. Some of them are made sticky, or softened by oil. Many times, on plastic (nylon) parts, I'll use just a touch of Vaseline at friction points. Other than that, I'm not really familiar with that press.
My only Lee is an old classic "O" frame single stage, and the only problems I've had have been the operator. :oops:

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:38 pm

Medicine Hat wrote:I would start here...
http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/faq/index.cgi
Lee has a 2 yr warranty. A call or e-mail to their customer service, or tech help would be the first thing, in my humble opinion.
It sounds like something is either binding, or slipped out of place??
Many plastics don't like oil. Some of them are made sticky, or softened by oil. Many times, on plastic (nylon) parts, I'll use just a touch of Vaseline at friction points. Other than that, I'm not really familiar with that press.
My only Lee is an old classic "O" frame single stage, and the only problems I've had have been the operator. :oops:
Thanks. An email has been sent. I had a powder spill. Maybe some powder got into the works (although it worked OK for some time after the spill).
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:44 pm

If you had a powder spill they cause problems with most AP presses. I use Hornady One Shot dry lube on my LNL-AP, mainly under the shell plate. I found out early on if that happens it's best to take care of it then, rather tan later.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:04 pm

http://www.realguns.com/archives/122.htm
Jack, I just found this article. Very interesting. It's a 3 part article, so when you get to the bottom of pt. 1 need to click on part 2, etc.
It goes beyond the factory 'how-to' setup and explains pretty well each part and it's relationship to the whole.

Maybe some of your spilled powder has combined with lube, and just plain balled up the turret??

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:48 pm

Medicine Hat wrote:http://www.realguns.com/archives/122.htm
Jack, I just found this article. Very interesting. It's a 3 part article, so when you get to the bottom of pt. 1 need to click on part 2, etc.
It goes beyond the factory 'how-to' setup and explains pretty well each part and it's relationship to the whole.

Maybe some of your spilled powder has combined with lube, and just plain balled up the turret??
Nice article. Thanks again. Finished my loads using the turret manually. The top end is clean. I think the problem is the plastic piece on the ram that turns the indexing rod. I'd take it apart and clean it, but not knowing what's inside, I'm leary. Too many times in my life, I've taken something apart and tiny parts and springs disappeared when it "exploded". Then, even if I was lucky enough to find the parts, I had no idea where to put them back. Nothing in my paperwork or any article I've read tells me what's inside that little black piece of plastic. I'm hoping the factory can shed some light on it.
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:37 pm

Hi Jack, just checking in to see if you found a fix for your press. Hope so.

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:18 pm

Medicine Hat wrote:Hi Jack, just checking in to see if you found a fix for your press. Hope so.
I hope so, too. I contacted Lee via email and they sent me new parts. I havent' installed them yet, but suspect they will do the job.
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

thumbs

Post by thumbs » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:02 am

Jack

I had the same problem and Lee "sold" me some of the square little black things that ride on the twisted bar. The problem comes when you don't move the arm all the way up or down. Anyway hope the problem is solved. Just be sure to move the handle all the way one way or the other.

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:29 am

thumbs wrote:Jack

I had the same problem and Lee "sold" me some of the square little black things that ride on the twisted bar. The problem comes when you don't move the arm all the way up or down. Anyway hope the problem is solved. Just be sure to move the handle all the way one way or the other.
Lee sent me a replacement free and all is well now. It seems to require friction on the shaft and the old one was very loose. New one is snug on the shaft and works very well.
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:32 am

Glad to hear that Lee stood behind their press and made it right.

R,
Bullseye