Powder Dribbler / Measure

The place to discuss reloading techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Powder Dribbler / Measure

Post by charlesb » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:45 pm

Today I had to load a small number of cartridges, and decided not to bother with the powder measure, but just weigh each charge.

Having no official powder dribbler, I pressed the powder-dipper that came with my LEE die set into service as one, in order to sneak up on the last few grains for each load.

( Click image to see it larger )

It worked really great! - I can't see where a real powder dribbler could have done much better. - I just held the dipper horizontally and tapped it with a finger, causing powder granules to drop out a few at a time, or even one at a time.

If I went too far, I would scoop a small amount from the scale, and dribble it back until the scale balanced up.

Worked great as a scoop for transferring powder to the scale, too.

So if you want to sneak up on a precise charge, one of the little LEE powder dippers works quite well!

Now, I don't feel so bad about not having an official powder dribbler.

FlyerTom

Post by FlyerTom » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:47 am

I've been using the Lee dippers to home in on a charge weight for 40 years. (I've got the black ones that came in a cool compartmentalized box.) However, I just picked up an RCBS dribbler from Gander Mountain for $8 on clearance sale. So far, it is easier creeping up on the correct weight with little chance of going over. When I load near-max cartridges I don't rely on the powder measure but rather use the appropriate Lee scoop to get the ball rolling. The dribbler really is a big help.

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:44 am

I'd like to have a set of the LEE powder dippers, now yellow instead of black. ( dang it! )

I got to try the powder dipper system out one time with a LEE Loader set that I bought for a collectable old military rifle that my family wanted to shoot - but probably wouldn't shoot very much.

I still have that Swedish Mauser.

To try the Swede out, I loaded rounds with the LEE Loader and I used a B-Square scope mount that clamps on the rear sight without altering the gun, along with a cheapo red-dot sight I got at Wal-Mart.

Using the powder dipper to measure the charges was easy and fast.

Time to go to the range!

I brought my teenage Daughter along with me, who had been playing an online first-person shooter game called Medal of Honor where she had established a reputation as a virtual sniper with the Springfield scoped sniper A3-03.

She wanted to see what firing a real rifle was like, and if her online skills would do her any good in the real world. - I was curious about that last part, myself.

- So she sat down at the bench with the 9-pound Swede with its red-dot sight, and fired a real rifle for the first time.

She put the first three rounds she had ever fired into 1" at 100 yards with that old Swede.

Naturally, everything had to come to a halt then, so the old man ( that's me ) could go get that target, suitable for framing.

So, the powder-dipper system produced ammo good enough for minute of angle, out of a 100 year old military surplus rifle.

As long as you're not trying to squeeze out the last few FPS of velocity, the dipper system is quick and easy, and produces accurate ammunition.

I think I'm going to buy one of those sets, now. 8)

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:24 am

I have been using the dipper as a dribbler for over 40 yrs now. I can see where a actual dribbler would be better particularly if you used it all the time. I only use it when I'm working up a load. If you think about it a powder dispenser is the same thing just variable in volume.

Well did your daughter keep on shooting? :D

Many many years ago my wife and I was at the range shooting and was loading up to leave. There was a guy struggling to group his shots. My wife shot the gun in the standing position, 1 shot bullseye. She laid the gun down and said nothing wrong with the sites or gun. The guy shooting was using bags on a bench and only had 4" grouping. We left while we were ahead. I think he was a little embarrassed being out shot by a woman and in the standing position at that. I don't ever recall what caliber it was.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:04 pm

I'm a fan of the powder trickler method. Far easier to use the trickler for fine tuning my match loads than the scoop. I also use digital scales when making precision loads, not only for my powder charges but also for categorizing the bullets into lots by weight.

R,
Bullseye

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:44 pm

In the picture, I am loading 43 grains of VARGET into something... It's a .243 Winchester case that I will plug up with a Hornady 58 grn. V-Max bullet.

In theory, it will develop around 3700 fps velocity in my custom Savage's 24" barrel - kind of like shooting a .22-250, I would guess... If the rifle likes those bullets, that is what I will have my daughter shooting in it.

I'm also trying some loads with 70 grain and 95 grain bullets for the .243. The Savage custom shop recommended 70 grn Nosler ballistic tips for best accuracy with the gun, so I felt obligated to give them a trial.

My next trip to the range, I'll be shooting Mausers in 30-06 and 7mm Rem mag, and the Savage in .243 Winchester.

The Savage is the only thing I had to load for, this time. With both of the Mausers, I am shooting up factory loads so I'll have a chance to get used to the guns, and end up with some good brass to work with.

Years ago, I had an RCBS powder dribbler, if I remember correctly. I must have lent it to my brother or something, because I haven't seen it in decades. They are interesting gadgets. I'll probably get another one, before its all over with.

In the mean-time, I'll get by OK with the little powder dipper turned on its side.

Most of the time I use an RCBS powder measure, so it's not really all that often that I must dribble.